1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyers hinge pins removal

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Mdirrigation, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Anybody got any tricks for removing frozen trip pins on meyers . I had to drill them , then burn out the pin with the torch . I do know this when they go back together they are getting grease fittings.

2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i have always heated the crap out of them and beat them ok....yes grease fitting are a must

3. SServices

SServices Senior Member

heat and beat. Anti-seize the crap out of the new ones and the grease fittings are always good.

4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

A few years ago I had the same problem and couldn't get them out. I tried heating and beating The pin but that didn't work. I found out later on Plow Site that you shouldn't heat the pin, you heat the Tube, because you want it to expand to let the pin out. If you heat the pin, it will expand and become tighter in the tube. So off to a guy who had experience with this and he took me home and came and got me when he was finished. I tried to grease them a few months after they were replaced with the greasable ones and to my surprise, I couldn't get the grease to go in and then I couldn't get the pins out to see why.
    I then took it back to the guy and he couldn't get them out either. He said that he would take me home and come and come and get me after he figured it out. I guess he didn't really want me to be there and see his secret. So I said I would rather wait for it. After he tried to beat them out, he then removed the four springs and let the plow lean forward letting the pressure off the pins and after a little wiggling of the mold board, they slid out easily.

I doubt that they would come out if they were truly rusted in. Most likely you have to take it apart anyway to cut them out, so you might want to give it a try.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I did all that , they were rusted , the left one was rusted to the mold board , right one to the framework , I used the sawzall cut them both in half , I drilled a hole in them and used the cutting torch to blow out the metal took about an hour for each one . This plow is probably 20 years old , giving it a new lease on life , especially when I found out how much a new one was .

6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Congradulations !

It sounded like you might have to do that. Don't forget to put the Grease Zerks in the tubes.

I like to use Anti Sieze because it don't seize to my knowledge and it's not
    likely to have the wear and tear that a bearing, etc, would get.

7. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

i removed mine with the trip springs off and it did seem like it took a lot of pressure off of them. thankfully mine still had some grease on them but im deff going to add grease fittings to them and cover in never seize