1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Fluid

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by labsh20, Dec 30, 2012.

1. labsh20

labsh20 Junior Member

I recently purchased a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 liter truck with an older model Meyers 7.5 under the hood belt driven plow. The pump is mounted on the passenger side wheel well. I can not find any model numbers on the equipment to distinguish what exact model it is. I need to add fluid to the pump due to seepage from both quick release couplers. After doing some research I discovered that using Hydraulic Fluid can potential lead to a fire due to the flash point. I believe I read that ATF should be used in these pump styles. Can anyone verify this info, and if so, what type of tranny fluid should i use. This plow is still in extremely good shape mechanically and cosmetically. I would hate to damage the pump by using the wrong. fluid. Thanks and I appreciate any help.

2. 89Heaver

89Heaver Member

most of those use hydro fluid but a slightly simple way would be to figure out what color the existing fluid is (red is atf, blue clear would be hydro) On a well working system you shouldnt have to worry about flashpoints and actually in my experience hydro fluid is higher then atf. Issue with strait hydro is you should warm up the system before using it as its thicker then atf. Both have their +- and you should ask the guys in the meyers forum here. Best of luck and welcome

3. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Type F ATF will work, although transmission fluid tends to have a lot of friction modifiers and stuff in it that is great for transmissions, but unnecessary for plow pumps. I would recommend finding some actual low-temp hydraulic fluid meant for plow pumps. Something like this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicl...nowplow-oil-hydraulic-fluid-32-fl-oz--1099361

That said, any of the major manufacturers' fluids would work too. There isn't really a difference in the pump you have and a new electric pump. The difference really just lies in the source of power turning the pump.

4. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I wouldn't necessarily go by color. I've seen red hydro fluid before.

5. labsh20

labsh20 Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. The existing fluid in the pump is red so If that blue colored low temp hydro fluid will work I will use that

6. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

It will work.

Frankly, if you're overly concerned about it, I'd recommend changing the fluid entirely. Then you know it's all new, clean, and what to put in it when you have to add more.

7. labsh20

labsh20 Junior Member

That's what I will do and will also replace the inline filter. Excessive maintinance is better than lack of. Thanks OC&D Have a happy New Year! Let it Snow like a MoFo