1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers E47 is killing me!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by long0, Oct 28, 2002.

1. long0

long0 Senior Member

It's snowing like a ******* right now, and my pump is not working. Here's the deal. Pump goes up and down, but it will not angle right. I changed the C coil, no luck. Changed the B coil, no luck. Changed all the quick-disconnect, and the hoses. Two different controllers and nothing has helped.

Its comming down hard. About 3 inches an hour right now. I am going to get screwed if I don't get this fixed quick. Any help quick help would be greatly appriciated.

Andy

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Andy do you want a spare pump? I can be there tonight.

Howard

719 486 8297

3. long0

long0 Senior Member

I appriciate the offer, but my girlfriend is on the way to the shop to pick up the spare. You getting anything up there??

4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Not yet, but it is forecasted...

As long as the pass is open, I could bring you anything I have... I don't however want to get stuck up there till spring.:D

5. long0

long0 Senior Member

Actually, I am at home right now, Marble - Just talked with Leah, and she is on here way now. I really appriciate the offer though. I also have a bunch of spare junk laying around, so let me know if you ever need anything.

We got about 18" the other night, could be a sloppy Halloween.

I had a couple of buddies go snowboarding on the summit Sunday, said there was at least 2' up there. Might be a good possibilty of getting stuck up there even now!

6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Meyer C valve

Andy pull the C cartridge valve out and clean it! Try tapping it on a clean block of wood once you have it out alone with trying to move the inside of the valve with a clean small punch. You can then try to operate the valve by attaching the coil, grounding the valve and hooking up the lead to a battery before you reinstall the valve it should click and spit out oil when its working. Also check to see it the valve has bloated or is bent which will cause it not to operate. John

7. long0

long0 Senior Member

John,
    Sorry, I should have stated that I not only replaced the coils, but the valves also. I might have to break out the dozer and run it over once this is over to ensure I never have problems with this pump again.

Thanks though

Andy

8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

We have not seen 18" yet... If we do I am real glad that I rigged the second truck up! This is my first year plowing and I have about 6 acres of parking lots to do! Kinda got out of hand. Two apartment complexes (total of about 250 apartments), doctors office, real estate office and the chamber of commerce.

Trying to set the business up so that my father can "retire" and have a job next season.

Only time I have been in Marble was 4wheeling, Aspen is a unique place that I visit, but I couldn't see (afford) to live in the town itself. I have plenty of friends in Carbondale, Basalt and Glenwood.

The guys at Stage West in Glenwood rebuilt my Jeep after my wife rolled it.

Howard
    (praying for snow, only one seasonal rest by the push)

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

When you say you changed the C coil, do you mean the coil only, or the valve as well? The valve itself is often the trouble, even with a good coil.

I've sometimes been able to get by with a propane torch and a hammer--make sure it's not angled all the way to the left with a lot of pressure in the cylinder, put the right end of the plow up against a curb or a telephone pole and put a *little* pressure on it with the truck, put some heat to it and tap on the area around the valve. Work the switch a lot. Sometimes it'll unstick. Sometimes it won't. (Although, I'm sure the Meyer engineering department would cringe at the very suggestion...)

BTW, Howard gets "The Spirit of PlowSite Award" for the day.... :drinkup:

10. long0

long0 Senior Member

I agree, gotta be crazy and rich to live in Aspen. The only reason I put Aspen on my profile, is due to almost nobody knowing where Marble is. Might want to change that now. Much easier to say Aspen, then have to explain where I am all the time. Just got into the habit.

No snow in Carbondale, Glenwood, or Basalt yet. Just at the higher elevations. Can't believe you have not gotten a good size storm yet, but by the sound of it, might be a good thing since you are plowing almost all of Leadville. :D

11. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Once again typing too slow--longO answered my question about changing valves before I got my reply posted....

12. long0

long0 Senior Member

It's gotta be something in the pump it's self. All the wiring is in good shape and clean. Got off work today, and went to lift the blade, it shot left. From that point, Up and down worked fine, but would not go right. I don't get it!!!!:(

13. Garagekeeper

Andy you did say you changed both the b & c valves didn't you. If all it does is go up and down recheck the b valve . Recheck your quick couplers too. Check the hoses for bends or kinks if your running the plastic type. The plowwill not angle if the crossover valve spring has broken from hitting something. Also check and make sure the plow hasn't turned to far and the cylinders are stuck. Connect the hose back onto the pump and see if it will run freely in both left and right when you work the switch without deadheading. John

14. long0

long0 Senior Member

Spare pump just showed up - Thanks for all the help guys

I'll let you know what I come up with tomorrow.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow (just like the song)

Andy

15. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Winter Weather Advisory For Tonight Through Tuesday...Snow...Locally Heavy...Will Occur Over The Mountains Of Western Colorado Tonight With Numerous Snow Showers Tuesday. Total Snow Accumulations Of 4 To 9 Inches Can Be Expected.

Thats the aspen forecast.... WISH I had that!

Howard

16. long0

long0 Senior Member

Only ended up with about six inches, but the wind was really kicking. Again, thanks for the help guys. :drinkup:

Andy

17. Garagekeeper

Meyer Power Unit

Andy don't forget to let us know what you found was wrong with your power unit. :rolleyes: John

18. long0

long0 Senior Member

I Don't Get It

Well, I threw the pump on the work bench today to see if I could find out what was wrong. Started by removing the whole angle block assembly. Everything was clean, all the O-rings were good. Slapped it back on the truck, and the same situtation - No right angle.

Changed the fluid, still nothing. Now I am not only confused, but mad :realmad: Another set of new valves go in - Damn, what is wrong with this thing.

Maybe something is wrong with my wiring - Not likely, the spare worked. Put the pump on the bronco, and it works like it is brand new.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Alright, something is wrong with the angle cylinders - hookup the Chevy plow to the bronco. Pump works fine. What is going on.

Mount the original bronco pump to the chevy, with the bronco plow - it works - with the chevy plow - it works.

I am starting to get confused about what I have where, what works, and what does'nt. Its snowing again - alright, original Chevy pump on the bronco, with the Chevy plow on the bronco, and I am off (in the bronco) cleaning up for about 2 hours. No problems what so ever.

To make a long story short, and to keep everybody from getting any more confused, I have had every combination of 4 pumps and 2 plows mounted to the Chevy, and only the pump that I am having problems with is the one from last night. It works on other trucks, but not the Chevy.

Really thinking this might be a good idea:
    My snow gods have got me by the b@lls. Any suggestions.
    Andy

19. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Check the ground wire from the pump to the frame on the Chevy... I know, I know, all of what you just said..... but, check the ground. Check the ground wire itself too. Bad grounds cause the unexplainable much of the time.

The only other thing might be the couplers.

~Chuck

20. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Check that ground like Chuck said, then check the oil in the dozer and fire her up....