1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers E-60 raising slow and sluggish

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by bronco69, Oct 5, 2008.

1. bronco69

bronco69 Member

I have a Meyers E-60 pump with a 7.5' steel blade. It worked good last year, but this year I tore it apart and put new seals, filter, fluids, valves and replaced the crossover valve. I also added a set of buyers pro wings that I know add about 65 lbs. but now the plow seems to be lifting alot slower than my other E-60's and it almost seems real sluggish to the point that I don't know if I can plow with it this year with out figuring it out. I read somewhere that sometimes the motor bolts get loose so I checked them and they seem tight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. wheelmanm80

wheelmanm80 Member

check your electrical grounds. and make sure your filters are clean.is it slow only going up or slow angling too?

3. bronco69

bronco69 Member

It is only slow going up. I have already changed both filters and if I'm not mistaken if the ground was loose it wouldn't raise at all, but i'll double check it today. Thanks

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you have the pump pressure relief valve disassembled during your rebuild? If so, did you set the pump output pressure with a gage after reassembly?

5. bronco69

bronco69 Member

Thanks B&B for asking that question because I just went and checked and it's gone. I must have misplaced it during the rebuild. I am going to have to order a new one from angelos tomorrow, but in the meantime how do I set the presuure, what does it ned to be and where can I get a test gauge. Thanks, Rob

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An inexpensive gage can be purchased at most industrial supply stores, such as Grainger, Northern tools etc for less than $30.
    Set the pump pressure at 2500 psi and no more.

Here's the Meyer factory E60 manual to walk you through it: E60 manual

7. bronco69

bronco69 Member

Hey B&B, thanks for the advice. I got a new pressure relief valve and installed it, but as it turns out that is not the problem after all. Do you or does anyone else on here have anymore suggestions?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you set the pump pressure to 2500psi?

9. bronco69

bronco69 Member

I took the pressure relief valve off of one of my other pumps that is working great and this pump still seems to be raising very sluggish. Almost as if it is struggling to get up, but once it is up it seems to angle fine and drop fine. Could the extra weight of the new pro wings be causing this?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you adjust the pressure after you changed it?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you disturbed the pressure relief at all you have to check the pump output psi before you do anything else... I can't stress this enough. If your simply guessing that the psi is correct- it either wont have any lifting power...or it'll blow the top cap right off the pump.

12. bronco69

bronco69 Member

My mistake. I thought what you were referring to as the pressure relief valve was the filler plug on the top cap as it shows in the manual you sent me, but I now realize what you are actually referring to is is right next to the PA block and no I didn't remove that in the rebuild. I just replaced all the seals in the pump, the A-valve, crossover relief valve, the piston, filters, fluid, and the lifting arm. Do you still think it is the pressure relief valve?

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you dis assemble the actual pump?

Check your assembly of the lift ram.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It would still be a very smart idea to check the pressure...just part of a good service job.. and if you do check the pressure I think your going to find that either the pump is weak or the motor is weak. Might be on its way out...and could definitely show up after adding 60 lbs to the weight of the plow from last season. Pressure gage and an amp test on the motor will lead you in the right direction.