1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers E-57

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by polarvend, Aug 27, 2009.

1. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Hi I have a question maybe someone can help me with.
    Ok I have a western 8' 6" blade with heavy duty wings on it, its an old cable cotrolled plow, I have been using it for a while but last winter it really got iffy I adjusted it like crazy to get the plow movements just right, it really was a pain.
    I recently bought a 7' 6" meyers blade with an E-57 pump with electronc controls.
    What I am wanting to do is take off my western cable controlled pump and put the E-57 pump in there, and still use my western 8' 6" plow on it.
    Everything looks to be pretty easy to swap over I am just wondering what the lifting capacity of the E-57 pump is, will it be able to lift a little bigger plow with wings or not.
    Do any of you guys have an E-57 with a larger plow?
    The bore of the hydraulic lifting cylinder is smaller on the E-57 pump than my western pump setup.
    So what do you think?

PS SNOW IS COMING:redbounce:redbounce

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It will work. It will be a little slower but it will work.

Be sure to change the fluids on the plow. Don't mix the western fluid with the meyer. That vintage Western propaply has ATF and the Meyer system is not happy running ATF.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll also need to reduce the bolt hole size on the Western headgear in order to mount the Meyer pump since the Western pump uses 3/4" attaching bolts while the Meyer uses 5/8". A few thick washers welded in place works fine.

4. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Thanks guys I appreciate your help,
    Yes it is running atf in the western so I will be sure to drain every last bit out of the cylinders.
    Thanks Jeff

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Consider also using Meyer's own Hydra-Flush to do a proper flush of the old fluid from the cylinders. Or at least use the same fluid you intend to run in it after the conversion. It will help to ensure you're removing all the ATF and other contaminates that build up in them after years of use, which will save you some headaches down the road. It will also freely mix with the low temp hydro fluid you'll need to run in the Meyer pump if you don't get all the Hydra-Flush purged...unlike the ATF.

6. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Well I have the pump on the truck and have used it some cycling the plow to get the hydra flush into the cylinders, it does lift the plow, when I lower the plow it drops a little suddenly, I am guessing there is an adjustment for that but I have not looked into it yet, all in all I am pretty happy with it, I just need to drain the system and add the M1 fluid, do alittle more electrical work, and oh yeah I have the hoses on the wrong turning cylinders,
    Thanks Jeff

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you made some good progress congrats. :drinkup:

Unfortunately one of the downfalls of the 57's is that they have no drop speed adjustment, so don't search too hard looking for one.

8. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

HAHAHAHA well thanks for telling me before I went crazy trying to find one.
    so what are you up to in P.A. , my grandmother lives in State college.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A long ways from SC, well too far to walk at least. :D

10. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Oh sorry your location says P.A.