1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers E-57 Newbie pump question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tryn2lrn, Jun 14, 2004.

1. tryn2lrn

tryn2lrn Junior Member

Hello all, I am a plow newbie and have a Meyers pump question. I read in the manual that they recommend storing the pump in the up position which I did NOT do when I took it off. I went over and pulled up the piston I could hear it sucking in the fluid, but when I let it go fluid shot out the top of the pump and drained inside the rubber cover and leaked all over the place. I believe it came out the filler hole from the looks of the diagram. That appears to have two hex nuts there and they both appear snug. Is that some kind of relief valve? If so I guess I have to hook up the power plug again and raise the piston that way, correct? I guess I will have to buy some more fluid, I lost quite a bit! Just tell me it's normal and I don't have to take my new pump back:cry:

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i keep mine all year long i coat it with white grease and push the ram down

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Plow Storage

Yes there is a vent on the top of the filler plug that fluid can blow out of, and your are more that likely going to have to add additional fluid before you use your plow this coming season.
    The whole idea of having the lift cylinder rod extended is to have the cylinder bore filled with fluid to prevent rust from forming on the cylinder wall.
    Plus it allows you to wipe the cylinder rod down an coat it with WD40 or Vasoline to keep it from rusting.
    I don't know it I would go through all the trouble of attaching the plow again just to do this, just be sure that the lift cylinder is clean and coated while fully extended and then lower it and you should be fine.

:rolleyes: John........................................

4. tryn2lrn

tryn2lrn Junior Member

Thanks for the info, I was hoping that was the case. I don't think I have ever seen anyone store the plow with the cylinder extended. I will have to get more fluid, hoking it up is no deal as it is stored in the garage right in front of the truck. I guess I will follow the instructions and store it up. Thanks again for easing my mind!!

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TRYN..........I see ya found us over here !

These guys can help ya out !..............geo

6. tryn2lrn

tryn2lrn Junior Member

sonjaab, yeah being a newbie I figure with the cost of stuff I really don't need too many "lesson learned" type issues. I will just askany question that crosses my mind until I get booted!:D I pulled the air dam tonight, what a PITA. They make it appear so easy in the manual! I hope to clean it up and practice trimming before the new one shows up. I got the front end aligned and the service guy said the T-Bars were adjusted ok (It's amazing the info you can get off these forums) so I guess my tape measuring the A Frames worked. Thanks for your help.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Tryn.............Ask away mister ! This is the place.........

Funny you mentioned the GMC air dam is painted. I noticed
    that. The Chevys (most) are just plain black plastic.
    Still searching for another air dam at the body shops.......

Are your fender flairs painted the same color of your truck?
    Mine aren't so I just took them off. Looks better and less
    places for salt to hide ! Did the same with my 01 also.
    ........geo