1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyers e-47 on a western plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mike in delawar, Feb 21, 2010.

1. mike in delawar

mike in delawar Junior Member

Sorry to post such a newbie question,

I am having problems with very old cable contols on a Western plow. I was told that a Meyers E-47, or the newer e-60 pump and motor would be able to be swapped (with little modification) and provide electronic controls. Is this possible? Has anyone done this with success? How much of a modification/ fabrication is needed (generally)?

Thank you, in advance, for any feedback.

Mike in Delaware

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I'm not sure Mike how involved it is, but I have seen a newer Meyer pump, might have been an e57 I can't remember... on an old Fisher plow/frame. Wasn't the prettiest thing I ever saw but it worked

3. mike in delawar

Thank you cubanb343. I'm thinking of doing this change very soon, if it is possible, to beat our predicted 30" (above and beyond the record amount already claimed this season). If anyone else has ideas on this, please post. Thankfully, Mike.

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you can get a western with electronic controls also about the same price and much more reliable

5. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

I just bought a 97 F-250 with exactly this same setup, Meyer pump, harness, plow frame etc with a western blade on it. Havent really looked into it that closely yet but best i can tell the plumbing on the blade is the only matter I'm dealing with.

Your in a different boat however as you have a western controller / pump setup and want to change the electro hydrolics which means different wiring harnesses and joystick arrangement. Yea im sure you can do it, the plow dont care whats lifting it, but one is it worth it and two will you trust your frankenplow to keep working through a big storm.

For the record the western frame doesnt mount exactly right to the meyers but it will work till the end of the season, when I will junk my oldest truck and move the meyers plow to the 97. Then I'll be selling the western blade for whatever i can get for it.

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i didnt mod mine been 2 years works good just put pump on and wire new solenoid and your good meyer and western noids are diff

7. mike in delawar

Thank you all for the current replies

Thank you all for the current replies. Is the Western pump that much more reliable than a Meyers?

8. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Mike, I would say no Western is not really more reliable then Meyers. What Meyers needs is care, If you service it twice during the season and disassemble it in the off season and clean it really well it will work fine. I have done the conversion, old school Western set up with a Meyers power unit. Had to make a bushing for the base mount, 3/4 hole on frame 5/8 hole on base, then welded a sleeve in the lift arm. Whole job took 3 hours including wiring. The Meyers harness is easy to make or you can buy one.