1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers E-47 Making me crazy

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mason110, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

Hey Guys, Heres one for you. I have a meyers e-47 older style pump. Its the one with the bigger size a valve. Anyway the problem im having is the plow is leaking down. now i replaced the a valve still drops, rebuilt the pump and changed all o rings even in the ram section. Plow worked ok for eh five times. Then it started leaking down and struggling to raise(very slow). So i took it back apart disasembled eveything cleaned it out changed fluid replace all o-rings a second time. Put it back on and it worked fine for a few attempts. Now its doing the same thing again. Raising slow, struggling, leaking down, etc. Now what can it be? Just old and needs to be replaced? Could a weak truck battery cause it to leak down? Maybe not enough volts to properly operate the solenoids? Any ideas would be appreciated since I dont know what else to do.

2. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Is the lift ram scarred and weeping. Maybe the wiper seal is bad.check couplings

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you inspect the bore to besure it was not pitted or scarred and that your piston was straight? If not do so when you rip it apart again.

4. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

yeah i did check the bore and it seemed to be ok, the ram itself has a few small pits in it but they seem to be close to the top of it where the bolt hole is. As far as the wiper seal i did not change that, I will try that out.

5. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

A weak battery will have no effect on it leaking down but may be the source of your slow/struggling lift.
    How fast does it leak down?
    Does the power angle work OK?

6. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

to be honest with you its intermittant. Sometimes leaks slow, other times pretty fast. sounds crazy i know but its true. thats why its driving me crazy. You just never know what it will do. at times it will even hold for a bit.

7. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

sorry forgot to say the angle works to the left and right, but is slow also.

8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

The slow lift and angle could be weak battery, poor ground or power connections, weak motor, worn pump. Assuming the battery, power, ground, all check out OK and the motor sounds like it running fine you could put a pressure gauge on it to see if the pressure is up to spec. If you haven't already, read through this.. http://www.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/1-562%20R16.pdf

9. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

thank you for the information guys, I think i got the slow lift bit all fixed, but why everytime I take the unit apart and put it together does it hold for three driveways then start to leak down. It does this everytime. I rebuilt it twice cleaned it out replaced fluid. Put it together and put it on truck, then it holds for three four driveways, then all of a sudden starts leaking down. Makes no sense if something was not right with it wouldnt it leak down all the time and not hold at all?

10. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Maybe it starts leaking down after the fluid warms up? If it sits overnight will it then work OK for a few driveways again before it starts leaking down?

11. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

sometimes after letting it sit it will hold for a few driveways, but not all the time, it held after i took it apart twice and rebuilt it. then dropped after a few driveways, what would cause it to start acting up as it got warm?

12. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

The oil gets thinner and flows better, so if there is a marginal seal/o-ring/etc it'll leak easier. Did you replace the packing/seal on the piston? What does the cylinder look like?

13. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

ok i see, yea i did replace that. the cylinder looked ok to me, no pitting or dents etc..

14. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Since you've rebuilt the unit a couple of times and it is still intermittent maybe it's something else. Is it possible that your down function is getting voltage causing the plow to drop. Maybe a controller going bad ?

JAT

15. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

yes could be, but if the controller had a short wouldnt the plow blade drop suddenly and not leak down? Just having a hard time thinking it is in the unit itself I had this thing off so many times running out of things to replace lol.

16. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

How about the o-ring between the piston and ram?

17. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

i replaced that too, would the seal between the pump and motor cause that?

18. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

That would just cause a leak, wouldn't make the lift leak down.

19. mason110

mason110 Junior Member

ok, well im going to take it off the truck today, and take it apart again over the weekend, so ill inspect everything again, and ill let ya know if i find anything suspicious. Thanks again for all the help I appreciate it.

20. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Check all seals pertaining to the ram. One o-ring at the bottom of the cylinder, Fiber cup on the piston, small o-ring under the brass piston, ram seal on bottom of cap, wiper seal on top of cap... The either clean and rebuild the "A" up valve or install a new one...