1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers E-47 - Lifted than stuck - frozen??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brother1, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Hey all - I just went and ran one of the trucks to warm it up since we havent had to plow or salt in about a week and weather is unbearably cold here. When the truck was warm I lifted the plow (an old Meyers E-47) and it lifted real slow than went left and again real slow then went right and again real slow. Went to go back left and it got about halfway than tried to lower it and it wont drop at all. And also won't go left or right now. I can hear the pump/motor running and I left the switch on drop and tried to manually push it down but no luck. Could it be frozen or something else?? Any hints and what I can do are greatly appreciated.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It could be frozen,check the fluid to see what condition it's in.If it is flush it out and look for areas where water could get in.Lift ram seal,angle rams pitted,etc
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That's exactly whats wrong.quick fix pour real hot water on it slowly then it will unfreeze it for the moment.
  4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

But keep your toes out from under the blade...
  5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Thawing Power Units

One of the fastest ways to thaw out a frozen power unit is with a "hair dryer"! Then change the fluid in the power unit and cylinders,and be sure to refill with "low temp" hydraulic fluid. :rolleyes: John
  6. captfudd

captfudd Member

re: the e-47

well a few years ago i had the same problem with an e-47, the problem is somewhere you are getting water into the pump, you should drain the fluid, you may have to park the truck inside a heated garage if possible or the old hair dryer trick works well as somebody pointed out already, be sure to pull the two screens from the front also and clean them while you are there. now if was doing this i would clean the whole thing while i had it apart but thats up to you, lastly be sure to refill with meyer low temp blue fluid, fresh fluid should help prevent future freeze ups & my recommendation would to have the whole unit checked over so that the bad seal or seals can be found.

my problem was the seal at the ram was bad and each time it went up/down & moisture was there it got sucked in, i had to change fluid 3 times because i was freezing up.

good luck i hope this helps
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

A magnetic mount heater (looks like a small clothes iron) works great too.You also don't have to stand in the cold freezing your a$$ off,stick it on and leave it.
  8. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

army blanket

when you get all finished doing all the suggestions from all the repleys , wrap the little e-47 in a nice warm wool army blanky
    Thats what i started doing has my brand new little e-47 continues to be a brat cold.

Ya know my one meyer setup reminds me of my old amf harley
    anyone ever has one of those .
  9. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Hey guys - thanks for all the suggestions. Went out this morning to warm the truck and was gonna try some hot water and lo and behold the blade was back down. Havent tried to move it at all yet. Any ideas on why this happened?? I'm going to break it down this weekend and drain the fluid and check everything.I got this whole setup used from a friend who I dont think did anything to the pump unit the whole time he owned it (I got it for free so didnt matter too much to me), but all I've ever done is drained and replaced the fluid once since I got it. Does anybody know if on the Meyers website they have any instructions or diagrams. Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens.
  10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

11. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

amf harley huh,

when i was a kid, my neighbor left for the army and gave me his.

i junked it about a week later.

real pos!
  12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

The trick is to be sure and use the real Myers blue fluid. We used some aftermarket stuff that was also blue and advertised as low temp, well... ya get what ya pay for! We had the same problems you described. We use a propane torch, be carefull to keep it moving, its nice because you can cary it in the truck and use it when ever you need.