1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers E-47 hit switches and nothing happens?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ogill2783, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ogill2783

ogill2783 Junior Member

Well i have an 88 dodge snow commander with a meyers E-47 pump when i go to raise, lower or angle the plow nothing happens but the solenoid under the hood just clicks. i have replaced it and the coils and still nothing the new solenoid doesn't even make a sound. i have traced all the wires from the pump back and all look in good working order. any help would be great thanks.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

take a set of jumper cables and hook them to the battery. hook them to the motor power and ground and see if the motor runs. if not the motor is bad. try tapping it with a hammer and see if it takes off.

3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

And make sure you replaced the solenoid with the proper one, it must be a continuous duty, positive to activate. I just recently was given the wrong solenoid at NAPA, it was for a Western plow , it is activated by grounding it, I thought it was bad until I looked up the part number for the Meyer and noticed it was different.
    If the old solenoid was clicking and nothing was happening with the motor, I would check all the electrical connections to the motor, ground and positive. Like stated above, use the jumper cables, just keep your toes clear!

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Ground at the motor - give it a pull, it will probibally come off in your hand. (just fixed the same problem this week on 2 trucks)

5. ogill2783

ogill2783 Junior Member

thanks for the help it was the motor hooked up the jumper cables and it started smoking. pulled the motor off and it was all gummed up and carotid.