1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers e 47 fail. Mortgage payment on the line. HELP ! Lost hydraulics

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by br500fc, Feb 9, 2013.

1. br500fc

br500fc Junior Member

Flushed and filled all lines good. Power to unit seems ok. Plowed my way home. Cried. Went out and drank beers. Pushed snow across street. Plow lifted! A miracle. Did it again. No miracle.Am I frozen or what?

2. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ussmileyflag:mechanic :will plow go back and forth... red wire b coil raises plow ..black wire a coil lowers plow... green wire c coil angels plow... check red coil to see if you have power to it might be bad coil or connection also i have heard of guys useing a little gas line anti freeze in the pump to help from freeze.. maybe 1 ounce .. if you got a garage get it in and warm it up with space heater or wood burner . see if it works then.. also check to make sure your oil is full 1.5 inch below filler cap.. pm me your number i can walk you throught it... 9.54 pm 2-9-13 :drinkup:

3. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic: left you my number on your page .. call me i can walk you throught the trouble shootingussmileyflag:drinkup:ive been in your shoes 30 years ago :laughing:

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If B coil or valve is bad it will go left instead of up. If it worked fine and is now doing nothing I would guess freeze up. Remember without tearing the pump apart you can't get all the fluid/water out of the reservoir. Try heat gun on base and angle block, if this gets working you still have water in the system.

5. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

did you drink to much or get her going

6. jonnyrooster

jonnyrooster Junior Member

hey 500, i had that same meyer pump for 20+ yrs, same problem for 20+ years, heres what worked for me, get out the torpedo heater, sit it up on a bucket, from the side hit it with heat, i would take cardboard and block around it so it got really warm.
    i think there was a little moisture in the pump and once it got really warm, all the fluid flowed again.
    I had to do this EVERY TIME i plowed, a pain but worked for me. good luck on makin that payment.

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

mine froze a couple of weeks ago...put a heat gun on the lower block.only took about a min....started to work...someone suggested adding a bit of isopropyl alcohol to the oil, knock on wood no problems since...it was one of those $10 harbour freight ones

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Doesn't matter what kind of alcohol you add to the fluid. Cheap methyl alcohol is fine. If it froze once, it'll freeze again when its cold. Torching the pump base can get it going in a pinch, but is very temporary.

Now with plows, a simple drain and refill of the pump itself may not adequately remove all water from the system. I've had water collect (and stay in) the angle cylinders. Unless your angle cylinders have their hose connections pointed DOWN, you can't get all the water out of them by working the blade side to side. Water is heavier than oil. To get the water out of the cylinders, the hose needs to be disconnected, the back mount bolt removed, turned so that the hole points down, and worked. Get ALL of the water out of everything when you change the fluid. Then refill and add a SMALL amount of alcohol to keep it happy through the cold.

9. jasonv

from kannada

Oh, one other thing I want to add here;
    You shouldn't ever "plow your way home". That is a big no-no and reeks of incompetence, and probably can get you a big ticket as it is surely illegal. If your plow gets stuck down, lift it the hard way (with a JACK if need be), and attach the chain much shorter. That will keep the plow up off the ground, even if the cylinder is at the lowest position.

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

In a pinch, run the plow up onto a snow bank and re-hook chain.
    Take entire unit off, disassemble, drain, flush, and fill with fresh fluid.
    Making sure you drain the sump base (under the motor).

11. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

A meyer set up with some age to it is gonna give you some trouble at some point, the slightest leak in a seal wil give you trouble all season when its real cold. Although some people dont like them ive found the rubber covers do help I flushed and refilled system every season and had few problems but it must be done right. Smith Brothers have videos on you tube that are good, they are about as good as it gets with Meyer. Having a backup pump helps too. Good luck.

12. br500fc

br500fc Junior Member

Thanks everyone. After I cooled myself off went out troubleshooting. Found loose power at controls. Weird I thought I had heard the solenoid clicking. Eureka it worked. Managed to make a few bucks but lost a lotta business. I did watch the Smith bros video before flushing. It was helpful but not as much as you guys. I think it was a combo of freeze and bad wiring. Wish I knew to run it into a snowbank to lift. Broke a good shovel trying. Still a newbie but popped my cherry. Probably be awhile before that opportunity comes to Southeast MA. Good thing I have carpentry skills. Nemo left us plenty of that.

13. jasonv

from kannada

Don't use a snowbank to lift. USE YOUR CAR JACK -- its MADE to lift stuff.

You might have heard clicking. There's solenoids running hydraulic valves that will click even with no power to the motor.

Also, try not to be so misleading in your problem posts. You said that you changed the hydraulic fluid, then asked if you were frozen. Obviously these two points were unrelated to your problem since your PUMP MOTOR WASN'T RUNNING.

14. Krrz350

Krrz350 Member

Next time you're in a jam like that feel free to give me a call, I'm a newbie as well and Nemo popped my cherry that's for sure, I cover from west wareham to west plymouth and have a garage in middleborro on the north carver line, always willing to help out -kevin
    774-766-7462

15. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

br, if you need a hand on the carpentry give me a shout, have tools will travel! Work sucks here at the moment! :confused: