1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers/Diamond Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I've got a 4yd Meyers/Diamond Spreader. I'm having a problem with the conveyor moving when I first turn it on. Quite often, I have to turn it on, off, on ,off, multiple times quickly to get the conveyor to keep moving (usually moves an inch or two each time before it keeps going). Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix? Not sure if something just needs an adjustment or just the nature of the beast.

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

is it belt driven . i have an old meyer that has a belt from motor to gearbox maybe its loose.

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Yes, it is belt driven. I will try tightening up the belt. I thought maybe it was freezing up or something. Eventually it does start to move but takes alot of turning on/off.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

are you confident the clutch is in good condition..even though i heard mine engage is was "weak" and wouldn't always move the conveyor
    steve

5. CARDOCTOR

i usualy have to open the hopper gate all the way and work the spinner back and forth which moves the drag chain
    until it loosen up. on my vbox only way to tighten the belt is by moving the motor. i would rather have the belt slip[
    than break something because its jammed

6. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I tightened up the belt by moving the motor and that seems to have done the trick.

7. CARDOCTOR

i leave mine alittle loose rather have the belt slip than break the drag chain

8. tc21

tc21 Member

I had the same problem on a two yard sander. If I put more than a half yard in it the drag chain wouldn't move. Tightend up the belt and that did the trick. For $28.00 I went out and got a new belt ,after I got out of the jam, and what a diffrence. The old belt was a 48 inch belt and now is a 51. Saved the junk ome for a back up.