1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers Coil Cleaning

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 160ClassBuck, Apr 16, 2003.

1. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

I ran a search but did not find what I was looking for.

Does anyone clean their coils (A, B & C) as part of their spring and/or fall prep? I have not had any problems to date but would take the time now to prevent a problem when 4" are on the ground.

Dave

2. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Change your oil in both the unit and the power angling rams. Then pull out each valve and clean in kerosene. Use a small dia. pin to push on the valve stem while cleaning. Do not take the valve apart. Reassemble and operate the plow. It will now be ready for storage.

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Valve Service

It's not the coils that you clean but the cartridge valves located under them that you would be cleaning. I would recomend it as part of your seasonal service. You can clean the valves with WD-40 or Kerosene, just be careful that the o'rings don't get damaged. After you install them back into the valve block coat the stem and the thread on the top of the valve with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion and aide in removal the next time around. :rolleyes: John

4. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Garagekeeper, you are correct in that it is the valves and not the coils.

Also, is the special Meyers tool required for the B & C coil removal or is there an alternative; deep well socket???

First time going through coils and just want to know what is required to get it done all at one time.

Thank you for your replies.

Dave

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

160- Depending on the valve it is a deep well socket radiused out to clear the radius on the valve or it is just a standard deep well socket. 1 1/4" Proto and Snap-On make the special socket.

Jerre

6. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

You can make your own socket by using a 1-1/4" Deepwell 12 pt. socket and grind out 3 pts. in a row at 2 places directly across from each other on the socket.