1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyers angle troubles and creaking noise?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 97S104x4, Nov 25, 2012.

1. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

my meyers st90 goes up and down fine, and it does angle side to side but when it gets near full lock it cannot push it out on either side. also when it gets near full lock it starts to make a creaking sound while the plow is moving side to side. ive greased and oiled everything i could find and the pistons arent marked up or anything to bad.

any idea what it may be?

2. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

have you checked the king bolt and the top and bottom mounting plates for wear allowing the plow to be a little forward (egg shaping of the holes) causing the angle cylinders to over extend.

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Take both cylinders off (disconnect the bolt on the a-frame end) and make sure that the a-frame is moving freely between both stops. I had a meyer plow that would really jam up when it approached either end, in order to get it to angle, I had to bump it into a solid object while holding the angle switch. I have since repaired that plow.

If the a-frame moves freely, you could be experiencing a contamination issue with the cylinders themselves. There could be water/ice, even RUST in the cylinders, on either or both sides of the pistons. If the cylinders aren't moving, you may have to disassemble/clean, repair, or replace the cylinders. The packing screw should come out of the end, but you may need to really beat on it with a pipe wrench with a pipe over the handle (for extra leverage).

4. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

start with the basics... when was the list time you flushed the hydraulic system, filled with fresh fluid and cleaned filters?? How old are your couplers? Have you switched the couplers to the superior "pin" type. as jasonv stated, the angle rams could be filled with contamination.

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Bent Angle cylinder, one or both, if the plow moves freely with the cylinders unbolted.

6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

How do you bend an angle cylinder???

7. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Obviously it's not to hard. Crossover does'nt open fast enough when striking object? I already replaced 2 this year on Meyers with the same symptoms. Replace on average 6-8 year for customers, been working on plows since the mid 90's Sometimes they won't even leak, take them apart and roll inner cylinder, it will wobble.

8. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

ok so the A frame moves freely without any noise so its piston or plow related. new pin type couplers were bought last year. and the filters were gone through and fresh fluid put in the beginning of the season.

i dont see how it could be a bent angle cylinder because when i put it away last year it was fine no noise nothing, i take it out this year and just testing it out first time for the year it starts creaking, so unless a piston got bent by sitting i think i can rule that out

9. Nice&Green

Nice&Green Junior Member

Probably a long shot but once my chain had fell through the A-frame and when i hooked it up I didnt realize it. When i moved the plow left and right it would make a grinding and rubbing noise. put chain on right and i was good to go