1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyers 6.5' plow for a Jeep

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by jaratan, Feb 15, 2011.

1. jaratan

jaratan Junior Member

I am thinking of buying a used 6.5' Meyers plow which is now on a Jeep Wrangler TJ . I want to use this with my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport . Would this be a custom job to modify the mount to fit my jeep? Can anyone help me to locate a shop which can do this for me? I am in Northern NJ.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

6.5 is too narow for a XJ or a TJ

3. kcm10883

kcm10883 Junior Member
    from NJ

hahaha...plowmeister your bad business lol...its actually my plow that i had set up on my 06TJ...

4. theplowmeister

from MA

I still say too narrow, if you angle the plow all the way your tires will run over the snow from the plow.

5. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

not really sure why you throw statements out there like that, its the size plow 6.5 that was desingned for that truck?? Not everyone wants to mod everything to the max to put a huge plow on a vehicle that was not designed for it to begin with.

6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

A bracket should be available for the XJ to accept the 6.5 Meyer plow.

I have a 6.5 on my XJ, works fine, a 7 would probably be ideal though.

7. snow problem

yes it is I run that set up and it is fine.

8. jaratan

jaratan Junior Member

6.5 Meryers on a Jeep XJ

do you run a 6.5 or 7.0 set up on your XJ

9. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

hmm.

TJ has pretty much no wheel base, and minimal track width. it at least has the benefit of a full frame...but it's still a fairly thin frame with few crossmembers. not up to the beating that a bigger plow than the factory recomended 6.5' plow.

a cherokee, on the other hand, is a uniframe vehicle. it has no frame, and is one giant pile of sheet metal layered on more sheet metal. it can NOT deal with a bigger plow than 6.5'. had you ever tried one out and actually abused it (or if you have...had you ever inspected the vehicle after it was abused) plowing...you'd know this. these uniframes like to show wear. stress points, stress cracks, etc. are very common.

I'll never run a wider plow than 6.5' I may make a custom v plow...but never bigger than 6.5'.

10. theplowmeister

from MA

Just because the plow is wider does not mean you have to abuse it.

Ive used 7 1/2 fisher plows on YJs and Tjs for over 24 years ther than rust killing the frames never had a problem.

you angle a 6 1/2 foot plow you will drive over the snow.

11. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

and yet, an XJ or MJ still a uniframe vehicle. it is a whole different animal than what you are used to. it is NOT designed to deal with the punishment of a plow, and the plow mounts offered do not spread the weight back far enough for it to do any plowing other than the owner's driveway.

with that being the case, what does it matter if you are correct and you do drive over the snow (which you don't, by the way).

Sorry for coming off like a dick...but I build comanches and cherokees. I wheel them, drive them, and plow with them. fully angled, I still don't drive over the snow. but I'm also not dumb enough to put a tire wider than 9.50 on a rim with less than 3.75" back spacing on a plow mj/xj...so they stick in like stock.

12. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I disagree about the 6.5' blades...look at my sig...everyone listed has had a 6.5 and having plowed thousands of miles in drives, private roads, and small commercials over the years I'd say they work just fine, period.

Don't be discouraged 6.5 will work just fine....although I'm not a big fan of Meyers.

13. theplowmeister

from MA

I yield to XJ experience.

14. Capodosto

Capodosto Member

My Meyer 6.5TM seems to be a perfect size on my XJ Cherokee. Unfortunately, you may have a hard time finding the truck side mounting carton, and if you find one, it will be expensive. The size is perfect, though, and is what Meyer recommends for the XJ.

15. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

they're easy to make. extremely easy.

16. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

So there is no longer a XJ box mount kit?

JeepCoMJ - I agree, and mine is held on with more bolts than ones designed for the XJ.

17. jaratan

jaratan Junior Member

Can you guys tell me if I can still buy a box mount kit for my XJ, if so from who , or I will have to get this fabricated? You guys say it is easy , but how easy is it.

18. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

19. snow problem

Here's a shot of one of those un-body Cherokee's that cant handle a lot of snow.

IMG00170-20110127-0941.jpg

20. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

I plowed a 700' driveway for 4 years with my TJ and a Meyer 6.5' plow and it was a fantastic set up.