1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Yellow Paint

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Stan, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Would like to re-paint everything in Imron. Does anyone have a fleet code for this in Imron?

2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Anyone?????

3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Try safety yellow, should be pretty close.

4. Hammer

Hammer Junior Member

I read in the forums about 3 years ago that somebody used "John Deere" Yellow as their closest match.

5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks, I'll look 'em up on the color chart.

6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

7. do14150

do14150 Junior Member

Meyer sells their color in a spray can

8. Boosted Thrills

Boosted Thrills Junior Member

back from the dead

did you ever find anything on this? I have some stuff that i wanted to have done in base/clear.

that imron is some REALLY good stuff

9. Loganab13

Loganab13 Member

Not sure if any of you have a lawn/landscape side of your snow operations, but I have found that the Wright Stander touch up paint is an almost exact match to the Meyer paint, and is cheaper too (at least it is in my area)

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i use rustoleum industrial safety yellow.

11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

for the $30-$40 a quart, worth buying the snow flo.....by time you add hardener etc to other paints its a wash.....brush applied it smooths itself, just need to let it cure before using ...best done in warmer weather

12. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

I took a flake of Meyer paint from the backside of my pump (that was under some grease to ensure it wasn't faded) and matched it up to the Nason color chip YS913 as the closest match to Dupont's universal color chips. It sprayed out nice and looks great. The color above seemed to spray out a touch lighter than the chip illustrated (I took my results back to verify the difference), but the shade difference is so slight, not enough to disappoint. I sprayed a second plow with a new mix of the same color code and it sprayed out the same, so I know the chip seems to represent a little lighter hue. There was, however, another chip next to the one I chose which appeared just a touch more 'reddish' that I think would probably have sprayed out dead nuts perfect, so if you are a true perfectionist you may hunt that chip down, especially if you are trying to touch up your existing plow. But the Nason color above will not disappoint and I've parked next to a newer plow and it's hard to tell a difference (Plows fade over time). Even after 4 years people think mine is a brand new plow (even though it's conventional mount!).

Problem with spraying factory Meyer paint is what I was finding in the marketplace was an acrylic enamel product, which is 80's technology, not as long-lasting shine as a urethane paint. But if you went with a premium PPG acrylic enamel with PPG premium hardner, it woud stay nice looking after quite a while.

Anyway, after taking the time to sandblast my plow, straighten things, re-weld the cracked welds, fill and re-drill the angle ram and king pin holes so they were perfect again ...I wanted to use good finish products on it. I sprayed everything with a self-etching primer, then sealed with a urethane sealer before applying three coats of Nason Full-thane 2k urethane paint to the blade, pump and rams. A-frame and truck mount is just regular urethane black. After 4 years everything still looks great, no rust. Like I said, people think it's a new plow. It'll last longer and look better than a powder coated plow I can guarantee you that (which fades, cracks peels and rusts underneath). I don't know why they just don't use self-etching primer and automotive-grade paints on the plows. They would stay nicer looking for longer.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015