1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by L.I.Mike, Feb 16, 2004.

1. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I had a 1992 Bronco that I plowed with that died. Toasted the tranny and when I went to fix it I found numerous problems. I bought a 1994 Bronco and put the plow on to it. I looked at taking the old wiring harness off and became scared of making a mess of it. Is it easier to just put on a new setup or fiddle with the old? A friend of mine suggested a home made set up but I want to explore other options.
    Thanks for the input.:waving:
  2. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Go ahead and take the old stuff off and use it..If you have questions ask....I'll be glad to help..:D
  3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I would try to reuse the old one, they go on in a flash, they would have to come off just as easy. The harness for a slick stick cost around $100, if I had one I wouldn't go spend the money for a new one, especially this time of the year, and this year, it looks as if winter is over around here.
  4. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

OK I went out and wired up the plow controls no problem, the lights I think will be another story.
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I just put a used plow on my truck back in december and the light harness was in real poor shape. I managed to fix it up for now but it will not be long before it breaks again. The problem is the old harness is getting brittle and cant be soldered anymore. I cut back as much as i could but no avail. So i scotchlocked it and hoped for the best. I did lose one of the turn signals but i quickly found the broken wire. So i did go out and buy a new harness for me to install in better weather. If i was you Id pull the harness out of the other truck and take good notes when you do and put it on the other truck. A little trick i often use at work (main line phone splicer) when you cut the wire, when you cut the wire leave just a little of the insulation from the other side of the splice. That way it gives you a hint what wire that should go to on the new truck. Good luck....Rob
  6. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

I bought a used plow and used the old wiring harness, both pump wiring and lights wiring, that was ripped out of the previous owner's truck.

The lights were easier for me to figure out. first thing I did installing the wiring was to just connect the ground and then tested each wire to positive see what effect it had on the plow lights - I labeled the wires accordingly. The best place to splice into the trucks wiring is at the hi-beam switch on the floor - at least for your lo-beam and hi-beam wires. The turn signal wires I just spliced into the truck's signals right under the hood. Only problem here is that the turn signals blink twice as fast now...(any one know how I can fix that?)

7. Xtra

Xtra Member

Do the truck's blinker and the plow both blink at the same time?
    If so, just get a heavy duty flasher relay that should solve your problem.