1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Wings Suck........

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by chazmanian, Jan 11, 2008.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

If you get paid by the hour that is...I added a set of the meyer wings to mt 7.5 ST thats mounted on a 1/2 Chevy and it is nothing short of amazing. I wish I were paid flat rate as I could literally do twice the work in half the time with a set of $250.00 wings??
    I bought em' as an apartment complex that I plow wanted the slushy crap plowed up in the afternoons and the little 7.5 ST was completelt ineffective when attempting to push tons of slushy wet crap.....Needless to say the wings are two pin quick remove and i plan on NOT using them in normal plowing conditions as I'll lose probably 5 hours of truck time pay per day.....:nod:
  2. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Where did you get them for $250? I saw them for $379.
  3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

revise your plowing contract to say your pricing is based on a 7.5' blade that way you can add a up charge for the wings.
    When I started using wings I would split the differance that it saved the customer with them. It made both of us happy.
  4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you have a crappy deal hourly. Why aren't you taking those 5 hours per event and do your OWN accounts?
  5. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Frontier Truck Equipment 800-267-1601 Colorado Springs Colorado.

Sales guy named Allen is a good guy!

Retail price $270.00...My whining ass begging for at least a 10% discount equals $243.00 Plus tax out the door. I also bought a new cutting edge for $108.00
    Had the whole "Shebang" installed for $100.00 on the spot. They even threw in the new bolt kit for the cutting edge along with a can of Meyers Yeller and a super cool "Partial Ride" Sponsership Frontier Equipment Sticker!
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  6. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I'm a first year "Newbie". I own the company. I signed contracts to plow for $XXX per hour. One of the sites has a maintenance guy that is on me like stink on poop....The other account not so much. If it takes me 5 hours to plow each location and that time is cut literally in half due to an equipment upgrade that cost me money I cant see passing on the savings to the property owner.....

The maintenance guy is a bit of a tard and I told him I will only use the wings to plow slush as the very expensive rubber edged wings arent that effective in normal cold snow....

Do I suck?:help:
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

No, I'd say maybe next year try to add in your own accounts to make the most of an event, as well as maybe making your hourly rate worthwhile to put your wings back on.
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Not a bash..

But, now you know why we preach not to plow by the hr..

Bid a lot or drive by the job as it does not pay to be efficient.
  9. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

well no crap. that's why you bought the wings to save time. Did you thing it was going to take longer? That's why we bid by the job.
  10. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I honestly didnt know how to bid by the job....Its been 10 years since I had even operated a snowplow and then I was just plowing the lot of the car dealership I mananged. I didnt know if it would take me 2 hours or 6 hours to plow the lots I bid on so I bid on them by the hour. Now I know better and will modify my plan for next year.

I bought the wings primarily because one of my contracts gets a bunch of slush on a large driveway area that has a concave shape to it. The contract requires that I push the snow really far to stack it and without the wings pushing literally tons of slush for 350 yards was pert near impossible with a little Meyer 7.5 ST.

This was a trial and error year for me and honestly I needed to determine if this was something I even wanted to be doing........The verdict is that this is in fact something I want to be doing!:drinkup: