1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer will not go down

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by halfkeck, Nov 27, 2015.

1. halfkeck

halfkeck Junior Member

So I get this old Meyer attached to a very rusty 91 2500 chevy. What can I say, it was cheap, and it runs. No controller but there are toggle switches on the dash. One runs it up, one seems to do side to side and the third switches from truck lights to plow lights. Should that up switch be a two way switch and tickle a solenoid? Just trying to see what I need to check first, plow goes up, but not down.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Post pic of the switches so we can if they are Meyer toggles or some homemade setup. What pump?

3. halfkeck

halfkeck Junior Member

old meyer

Here are a couple of pictures. The harness behind the switches looks to be a factory harness but to me the switches themselves seem to be aftermarket. To make the down motion should the switch activate a solenoid or go straight to the lift motor?

meyer plow.4.jpg

meyer plow.5.jpg

4. kimber750

Those look like meyer switches to me. The blues one should be raise and lower. Should have a down/float, position the switch appears to be in now, a center and then up. Put it down and check the small A coil, black wire, on the pump for magnetism. If no magnetism check for power at the black wire. Have power then coil is bad. No power switch or wiring is bad. If you have magnetism and no down valve is bad.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

make sure the connections are clean out in front....put the switch in down position and play with the harness....but keep you feet out of harms way

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Yeah, Kimber......:waving:

7. kimber750

I have only been whacked by a plow once and that was helpers fault.

8. halfkeck

halfkeck Junior Member

Taking my power probe out there after we get wrapped up at the shop. Got two trucks tying up two bays at the shop so this one is staying at the house until we wrap up those. Hope the snow comes as late as it normally does in our region or it could be a problem. Trans replacement in one and changing the frame in the other and both will have to have the unimount bracket installed and the wiring as well.

9. halfkeck

halfkeck Junior Member

Spent some time with the power probe and realized there was no power coming from the switch on down mode. If you squeeze the harness to the switch it works. Apparently it works loose after a bit and only has connection on the up mode then. Thanks for the info, made it a lot easier to track that down

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Common on the meyer plows. Those blade connectors really suck.