1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer vs. Fisher

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by MGoBluePlow!, Nov 17, 2006.

1. MGoBluePlow!

MGoBluePlow! Junior Member

Hi All! I am looking to get a plow and am torn between these two. I would just like to know why you chose Meyer over Fisher or another brand of plow. Were the features better on one of them, was the warranty better? Ya know, stuff like that. Thanks.xysport
  2. MGoBluePlow!

MGoBluePlow! Junior Member

Anyone? At all?
  3. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I heard Fishers are good plows but I never used them. I can tell you that Meyer Plows are simple, effective and parts are easy to find... I have only used Meyer for the ease of ordering parts...
  4. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Now I bought the truck with the plow already on it, but if I were buying another plow, I would buy a Meyer. I live 15 minutes from Angelo's. Getting parts and service is cheap and easy. And now I have an understanding of the systems on the plow. I have to chuckle at folks that put the brand down. Maybe their low end stuff is cheap, but my CP-8 will keep up with any other plow out there.
  5. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I bought my first truck with a plow on it this year, Meyer with e47 pump. I knew nothing about plows before coming to this site and reading for hours. I found it very easy to find parts and also have a spare pump now. It does not seem too difficult to troubleshoot and I think I'll be ok should I run into any problems during a storm. Many places online to order any part I could ever need.
  6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I say but a plow that you can get local service for. They all need maintainance, as well as the next brand, but if you cant get parts locally, then you are SH#$ OUTTA Luck
    Buy local. Support your community. That is my opinion, which isn't worth a hill of beans!!!
  7. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I'd have to agree,if Fisher is local go with them,myself I like the trip edge design and the fact parts are easy to find.

However is meyer is local I say go with them,the diamond brand is a good plow i believe its made by meyer.

Good Luck.
  8. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

My local place sells all the popular brand plows. I just found that it's a lot cheaper buying most parts I needed online. If I don't need it immediately I buy it online. For example I wanted to replace the old hoses. They looked really shot. The local place wanted 26 bucks per hose and online they were 10 bucks for a genuine Meyer hose in the Meyer plastic box. That's a 32 dollar savings for 2 hoses. What's up with that?
  9. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Hey, I live in Pinckney, MI. There is a dealer of Meyer parts in Dexter, about 10 minutes away. I priced the cutting edge bolts from them and they wanted like $27 for the bag. Angelo's is in Wixom, about 25 minutes away, and they wanted $12. I would like to know what is up with that too. I understand sales volume allows them to cut into profit margins and pass the savings along. But I always thought that a 35% mark-up was standard. That dealer that wanted $27 must have an insane mark up. Needless to say, I NEVER go to the dealer in Dexter.
  10. sbt1

sbt1 Member

Fisher plows are built like a tank

and Meyer plows are not nearly as sturdy. And my last name is Meyer.... yet I'd buy a Fisher anyday over a Meyer plow.

The Fisher is just so much better built... never had any problems with a Fisher, yet numerous issues with Meyer plows. Look at the frames, the Fisher is so much stronger (yes, I've bent Meyer frames by hitting rocks, etc.). Not only that, but the Meyer electrics leave a lot to be desired.
  11. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Thats baloney with all due respect. Id buy another Meyer plow in a heartbeat if I needed another plow...especially that new Super V.