1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Verses Snow Dogg

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 32vld, Dec 18, 2015.

1. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Yes I went to buy a Meyer 6'8" plow. The dealer said he is sold out (a large dealer) and does not know if Meyer will be shipping any more this season. Waiting for him to get back to me.

I can get a 6'8" Snow Dogg stainless steel $4,000 installed.

So what kind of reputation does Snow Dogg have. Is it a good brand, would you recommend I buy it.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A wrangler exterior width is 73.7" if the angle the blade your cutting it rather close and if you turn you as will be dragging threw your windrow.
    Nothing sounds better than thoes frozen chunks rubbing the body panel as you go by.
    sure, you could add wings, a plow with wings usually ends Up heaver than
    A plow of the same width.

3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

My TJ's track width is 58.5" and the overall width is 66.7"

After this mornings post I went to the The Plow Dogg website, it says my 2005 TJ says I can install their MD 6'8", 7.5", or 8".

Then I went to the local Snow Dogg dealer and he recommended the 6'8" but would install any of the three sizes.

4. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Go with the 7.5, easier to sell when the time comes.

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

If you are doing mostly residential driveways .... go with the 6'8" You will appreciate the smaller turning radius.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

what year?
    I used the body width of a 2013.
    sepcs right from jeep.(wrangler)
    yes, around here the snow adds up.
    unless you have a 12" inch lift your jeep doesn't sit that high.

Exterior Width 73.7 " exterior body width
    http://www.cars.com/jeep/wrangler-unlimited/2013/specifications/

2005 yj Overall Width 68.3 http://jeephorizons.com/tech/2005_tj_specs.html

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  7. danknight163

danknight163 Member

There a reson why meyers are sold out :>) find another dealer or place that install them they are the best

8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

You missed it in my post that I have a 2005 TJ. The first year was 1997 to 2006. Then the fatter or to those that like the JK better, the wider JK's of 2015 came out in 2007.

No lift, kept it stock though it has good ground clearance.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Ya, listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about. NOT!!! And by the way Darknite, there is no 'S" in Meyer. There really are no "bad" plows anymore. Quality control is pretty good these days. I prefer stainless, but that's just me. I would go bigger than 6'-8" if it were me though.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Kool,
    Just say'en , like some others, if it was mine I'd get one as close to 7ft as can.
    Maybe a couple of inches wider.

Like I said had a YJ with a 7.6 sno~way with DP. I plowed tight turn of the century drives , on a hill side. ( Victorian homes) and I had no maneuverability
    Issues.

If you want a different brand, it doesn't matter to me.

I'll leave you to your decision.

11. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

This will be my 10th year doing snow. I had two, 2 stage snow blowers. My 28" died on the last snow fall of the season last year. To get a 36" blower would cost $3,500. And it will not make me that much faster and I have more work then I can handle. My volume of work has out grown snow blowers.

A plow is faster and I can get a Meyer 6'8" for $4,000. Snow Dogg 6'8" for $4,000, 7.5 $4,250, 8' $4,500. So I get a big increase in production for $500 - $1,000 more. I think it will be money well spent.

The people that are out of Meyer 6'8" plows told me flat out that I do not want to buy a Suburbanite from them because the weight is too light being poly for commercial work. They said it is one thing for a home owner to do their own drive way that has not been driven over, another where one has been packed down in spots so they will not scrap well or do a good job at back dragging.

The Meyer/Western/Fisher dealer has been in business for many years. They have a large display of parts in the store front.

The SD dealer is very close to my house, salesman kind of car salesman persona, do not appear to have much inventory and the same type of equipment business at this location went under their years ago. Building sat empty for a few years. Open now for a few years. Though the two times I went there I was the only customer. And nothing was going on in the shop out back. Bad vibes and I do have not know much about SD plow quality.

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I like Meyer plows on the jeeps. I would like to see Plowmiesters jeep up close to see how he has it set up

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I just used a snowway & gave it up as an option, a Meyer, western, boss ,fisher, maybe even a snow dog or a snow wolf. will work just as good.

yes, you will be making money quicker and easier with the jeep.