1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer V vs. Boss V

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jlb2500hd, Nov 25, 2006.

1. jlb2500hd

jlb2500hd Member
    from N.Y

Looking at replacing my plow with a V plow, I was going to go with a Boss V but after looking at the Meyers Super V I am having second thoughts, I have a Meyers straight blade now, so I know what Meyers is like, the Super V looks like a tough plow, plus it has the Roc-solid warranty, and the one button adjustments, anyone have any experience with the Super V, I've heard that Boss is supposed to be the top V plow, but Meyers may have them beat. Thanks for replying.

2. snoking

snoking Senior Member

www.bossplow.com

have videos that break down both plows watch those and then tell us what you think

Erik

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Go with BOSS....paint quality is awesome, built like a rock, quick responding hydraulics, I could go on but like said above, go to www.bossplows.com. You will be very happy with your purchase of a BOSS!:salute:

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I like that new Meyer V also. Id look into it seriously.

But Im a Meyer fan so maybe im biased.

5. snoking

snoking Senior Member

just looked at the new video for meyer.....center tower is not at strong, it has the ficher trip springs now, the turn cylinders are still mounted wrong(they tried to correct this with adding the push/stop armson each side for the wings to rest on), im not a fan of the "A" frame the use on the straight blades( for me they have never held up) and all they did here was add steel to it and turnint into a v.....not to mention i hate chains

just to repeat watch the movies....at bossplow.com, even for the straight blades

btw meyer is the same a western when you watch the movie.....

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I just looked at the parts list for the Meyer V blade and every valve is different so if you keep spairs around you need them all. The boss share the same design so you only need to keep 1 as it will work anyware. That alone would save over $300 in spair parts.
    I have used the yellow blades for over 30 years and stil concider them a good entry level blade but after using the red ones for the last 3 years there will never be another yellow one in my shop as they demand to much maintance. I run 5 blades now and am phasing out the yellow ones. Which ever one you chose good plowing..

7. snoking

snoking Senior Member

:cool: preach some more you doing awsome.....lead others to the light ...lol:cool:

i didnt catch the valves good call

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

im also interested in the new super v i know there was alot of problems with the original meyer v but it seems like all those problems have been addressed. dont boss have center hoof issues. think it comes down to customer support .my meyer dealer is 15minutes from my house the boss dealer is an hour away.

john

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The dealer support is very important and should inter into your choice. If you need parts and the dealer stocks them then that 45 minute would make a differance. You cna find parts for Meyer on a blister rack at most every 7 - 11 or Quicky mart.(why because there is a market for them) Boss plows on the other hand don't need replacement parts quite as offten. and as for the center hoof problem it was replaced with a newly designed cutting edge which does not require it.
    Sounds like you may have already made up your mind on the super V. please give it a try and report back to us as to how well you like it and any problems you may have. It is a new design and with all new designs there will be a few bugs.

Dwan

10. LLM Ann Arbor

Selling snow plow parts at 7-11 must be an Alaska thing Dwan.

lol

I can gaurantee they dont do that in the other 49 states.

Some auto parts stores.

lol...Ill take a large slurpy and a B-coil to go please!

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

That was ment to be a med-afore (sp)
    Parts for Meyer plows are available at most any parts store, some auto dealers parts counters, and a few other locations that have nothing to do with plowing because they are needed. unlike Boss, Fisher, Blizzard, and Western plows.

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I forgot to mention, which someone picked up the ball for me, dealer support is the biggest thing. I will never buy a plow that doesnt have a dealer in my town. We have Western, Meyer, and Boss dealers in town. I went with Boss because I like the product and durability, and because I have a great dealer behind me. My dealer is open 24/7 during a storm, so if I break something, they are ready. All the other dealers in town dont do that. I will say that I would consider a Blizzard 810, but no dealer within 60 miles. I will strongly urge you to go with Boss, but that is my 0.02 from my experiences with them, which are all great!;)

13. LLM Ann Arbor

Ive had a meyer MD2 poly deal and the only thing its needed for 6 years was fluid, and the quick disconnect got the boot in lieu of hardwiring the thing.

I really dont know why you guys have such bad luck with your Meyer gear.

:shrugs:

14. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I have owned Meyer plows. Think they suck. But that was a few years ago, and they probably have came a long way, since then. Early 90's and such, I thought were junk. But the new ones seem ok, I guess. JMO

15. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

The Diamond line is owned by Meyer no?

They seem to give Fisher a run for their money in this area.

16. jlb2500hd

jlb2500hd Member
    from N.Y

Anybody have a Meyers V?, I like the sounds of one button plow positioning plus the warranty, I have a Boss dealer and a Meyers dealer about 45 mins. away so either would be a hike, I just wondered if anyone had any experience with Meyers V plows

17. LLM Ann Arbor

Whats the price difference if any?

The Meyer V comes with some pretty cool high tech options as far as I know including the shake and a wireless ontroller if im not mistaken. Standard.

No?

18. LLM Ann Arbor

Im wrong. Guess its just got a new controller. Not wireless.

19. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

this isnt the old v plow that everybody had problems with . this is a new model with new hydralics and the vplow looks similar to western

john

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea it is a brand new V plow and it's nothing like their first "crappy V" (thats what we called them).They released it in the spring of 06'. I haven't seen one up close yet but they must be pretty beefy because I just checked the specs on it and the Meyer super V is 35 lbs HEAVIER than a Westeren 8.5 pro plus MVP.....Holy crap! 880lbs vs. 915lbs