1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer V-Box Spreader stuck conveyors and spinner

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by pwalsh3010, Dec 10, 2010.

1. pwalsh3010

pwalsh3010 Junior Member

I was hoping that someone may be able to help me out. I have purchased a Meyer Hopper spreader that is about 1 year old. Engine starts and runs great, but the conveyor chain and the spinner chain are heavily rusted. Obviously when the clutch is engaged, nothing happens. I have soaked the chain with PB Blaster and oil, but was wondering if there is a way to apply force, or a certain way to help free it up? I am sure that once I can get it to move a litlle bit, the oil will take effect. I just don't want to damage anything. Is there a way to remove the conveyor chain? Thanks for any advice you may have!
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you've sprayed the entire chain take a big pipe wrench to the front shaft or you can probably leave the motor off and clutch engaged and put the pipe wrench off the top of the gear box. Just work it back and fourth if you think your going to wreck something put more oil on it and leave it. You could also try a kpipe wrench on the back and front at the same time if you have a helper.
  3. scooper87

scooper87 Member

Marvel's Mystery oil works really well on the conveyor chains if you just keep soaking it religiously and then work it back and fourth like JD said. on the chain for the chute to the clutch.....Those are cheap enough to just replace. Its probably either a 78 link or an 80 link size 40 chain and you can get one of those for like $30 at most power equipment places. Well worth it to just replace the chains going from the engine to the clutch and clutch to the chute that way you know when the snow flies its new and working properly and its one less thing you will have to worry about.
  4. pwalsh3010

pwalsh3010 Junior Member

Thanks for your replies! I was able to get it going after a lot of oil and some persuasion with a pipe wrench. Just as a tip for anyone else in the future, the spinner chute chain IS very cheap (like $15) so if it is possibly your problem, just cut it off. That turned out to be my problem. My chain was solid, and the spinner shaft bearings had seized. Once I cut the spinner chain, and took that out, the conveyor chain started pretty easily. Thanks again for the quick responses!
  5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Do your self a faver and keep extra chain to fit both on hand, also keep half and full links. We keep a small plastic tackle box with chain and links in the shop ready to go during snow season.