1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer trouble!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by born2farm, Jan 15, 2012.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ok, I have a meyer clasic mount with an e57 pump. I have ran it on my truck for two years. Ever since I have owned it, when i shove the slick stick to the right, it goes to the right and then springs back left a few inches and if you just barely move the stick right, it angles full left. If you barely bump the controller up it goes full left. What is going on with it?? The pump was rebuilt last year and it continued to do it. I replaced the controller this year and it still does it!!! What could it be. I would like to limp this plow through one more year. It is the last meyer in my fleet and it wont be on this truck next year.

2. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

solenoid or valve

3. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

air pocket . bleed the rams

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Nothing you can do about it, E57 is designed to be used with touchpad. The touch pad has a delay before killing power to the coils for an "EZ" stop.

What is happening is when you let go the slick stick the valve is closing before the motor stops, E57 is default left so once the valve closes and the motor is still spinning the plow wants to go back to the left.

Understand?

EDIT,

Should of read a little closer, when you push the slick part way you are not engaging both contacts needed to make the plow go right. One for the motor and one for the valve. Like I said, Meyer is default left. If no valves are energized it will go left.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  5. born2farm

AHH HAH. Someone with some reason. Well I guess I am going to try and find a touch pad for it then. It came with the slick stick so that is what I have been running. Thanks for your help. I am still going to bleed and drain everything tomorrow.

6. kimber750

You will need the touch pad and harness for the touch pad. Easy to swap out. Thumbs Up

7. born2farm

I guess this brings another question to mind. Am i hurting the pump in any way by running the slick stick? Im not all for dropping three hundred bucks into a plow that i wont run next year.

8. kimber750

Have never heard of anything being hurt by using the slick stick. Just complaints about the plow banging around.

9. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

There is potential for a swollen c-valve from the slick stick on the E57, basically caused by the pressure spikes. You can google that and find the details. I successfully added a capacitor to my slick stick on my old e-47, on which the banging got noticeable running plow fluid instead of ATF (faster plow). 33000 microfarad from digikey is just a few bucks. I did the math to roughly size it and it works slick. Wire in parallel with the c-coil, make sure to get the polarity of the capacitor right. Cheap fix and I got to keep the stick (never used the touch pad but read lots of complaints).

10. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

So you put the capacitor + to the c coil and the - to ground? I suppose you could do the B coil the same way. Where did you mount the capacitor(s)? I would assume it would be best to keep them inside the cab and out of the weather.

11. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah, cap + to c-coil wire and cap - to ground. I mounted mine under dash, my harness is homemade so easy to tap, not sure if a factory harness would be difficult or not. B coil doesn't seem to need one.

12. kimber750

First you should not be using ATF in any meyer pump. Second the E47 is designed to be used with slick stick. If you were having an issue with banging it would most like be due to worn parts. And finally if the pump is properly set, ie crossover, a swollen C valve should not be an issue. Since these pumps only run in the 2000 psi range and crossover relief is set set in the area of 3400 psi, and this amount of pressure will not normally swell a C valve. Most C valves swell from water freezing or an improper set or damaged crossover valve. I do like your idea, but I do not think it necessary to protect the valves.

13. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

kimber,
    a) yes I've run plow fluid since the first flush after I bought the unit (it came with ATF)
    b) Not sure what worn parts you think would cause banging. It's simply the fact that the valve closes nearly instantly, trying to angle left when the plow is moving quickly right. This is even more true of a faster plow like the e57 or fisher, hence electronic controls address it.
    c) pump and crossover relief settings are not the issue, it's the pressure spikes that can develop in the short time periods involved either hitting a bank too fast or the c-valve slamming closed. No relief valves are actuating during the plow stopping so non of that pressure is relieved.
    d) You may be right, but annual inspection last year revealed swollen c-valve (coil barely slid off) and I only plow my driveway, rarely ever even tripping, let alone hitting the cross over relief (smooth driveway at 5mph max). Plus not my truck doesn't shake every time I angle. On an e57 I'd absolutely recommend it with a stick.

14. kimber750

Guess what I am trying to say is that since no matter whether the C valve is energized or not the is always a path back to the reservoir for the fluid to follow. There for a pressure spike would be very difficult to produce. Like I said I like your idea and think this would make the plow much less jittery. My old ST7.5 bangs, rattles and make some other noise I can't explain, mostly due to worn sector and A frame. The king bolt hole in the sector had to be 3 times it's original size before I repaired. This helped quite a bit with plow jerking when being angled.