1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer trip spring question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 85F150, Jan 29, 2004.

1. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

IT seems like my plow likes to trip alot and is slightly tripped the whole time i am plowing.....i just put new springs on it but to get the coils to lightly seperate i had to run the adjuster bolts all the way to the end of their threads so there is no more tightening the springs left.....any ideas to what i should do..only thing i could see would be is take the bottom nut off? and just put another one ontop...but i don't like that idea....i know there is the third trip spring idea but i would like to fix my two first..or is this the way they are suppose to be?

nice plowable snow down here in mi payup
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Paul you need to check and be sure your plow is not coming back too far and over running its stops.
    Look at your plow while its hooked up to your truck and sitting on the ground, does it lean back on the top end?
    I have had them in the shop so bad that the markers pointed back towards the truck rather then pointing up.
    Normally this happens as the pivot tubes open up allowing the sector and moldboard pivot tubes to be out of line and then over riding the stop and preventing you from adjusting the springs properly.

:rolleyes: John................
  3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i am pretty sure i understand waht you are saying...the stops welded right after the tubes closer to the truck...the plow sector or what ever you want to call it is resting on them like i think it should, doesn't mean it is right.....should i loosen the springs up and weld a taller stop in there or will that increase attack angle to much......i can get out tomorrow and take a pic to help identify it a little better...but it sure was nice to be able to plow tonight......hopefully more snow and more payup to help apy for my tuition...thanks
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your plow may use the " 2 meter " springs. They are shorter, you can use regular springs but you have very little adjustment on them. Shorter 6' and 6.5' plows may use them and someone may have just put regular springs on to save money. ( $8 vers $16 )