1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Trip Sping QUESTION?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ROYALT91, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

I run a st-78 blade and i have never changed my trip springs i have always just tightned them up each year. My jeep seems to trip the blade quite often when it seems it shouldnt be tripping. It almost as, the jeeps to powerful for the spring tension. Well my question is there is another mounting hole for a thrid spring on my blade would this be a bad idea to ad the thrid spring or a good idea. Or is it better i just buy two new springs and replace the old ones.

plow.jpg

2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

great pic

hey it looks like the springs are to long are they the ones that came with the plow i ran jeeps for years but i dont think mine were that lnog :waving:

3. Midnight

Midnight Junior Member

Add the 3rd spring. It helps to keep it from tripping I did it to My plow and helped alot.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It might need the $16--> 2 meter springs they are shorter I do believe. I have seen them on most 6 foot plows. I ran regular springs on my 6 footer but it has very little adjustment to the springs and broke one or two a season. Be cool on adding another spring it may push the mount over the edge and break it since it's a lot harder to trip with 3. It would tend to stop you and that energy has to go somewhere. The angle of attack may be wrong for some reason, like lifting the truck or bigger tires, new springs etc.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Thats a light duty plow. Its meant to trip easy so you dont bust the plow or the vehicle.

6. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

I have the same setup, and mine trips all the time. I was wondering if someone else had the same issue's. I purchased mine this year used, so I have no clue if the springs have ever been replaced. Since I only plow 3 drives, I live with it. but if you find anything out, I would be greatfull to hear about it.

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

If u put the shoes back on the bottom of the plow u will notice it not tripping as much

8. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

Shoes dont work good

the shoes keep u from scraping driveways clean. Maybe i will just try to tighten up my springs first but i only have about one more inch of adjustment. how tight should they be.

9. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Mine has shoe's, and it still trips bad.

Here is a pic of my plow
    [​IMG]

Here is my little painters LOL

[​IMG]

10. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I have to disagree if they are at the correct height it should scrape down to the blacktop.I have Fisher and Meyer and the Meyers scrape much better then the Fisher.{meyers have the shoes on and the fishers don't}

11. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

ebay

I saw these gems listed for $3 this am. Item number4517637013

12. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Well i don't know what to tell u.My 1983 bronco with the dealer equiped plow still has the original 2 spring setup

13. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Does our springs look like they are the correct lenght? or are they longer then yours?

Thanks in advance for your input :drinkup:

14. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Meyers only have 2 spring options. Standard spring such as we have,and a mini spring for there homeowner series.Which we do not have

15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You should have much more adjustment to those springs. Those can't be the right ones, ar ethey actual Meyer's springs or are they for another brand maybe? But the Meyer plows that i have owned all had much more adjustment. Dunno

16. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

Meyer recomends raising the tabs On A-Frame

I e-mailed Meyer they said that it is better to Cut of the tabs on the A-frame and weld some spacers and weld the old tabs back on. To me this seems like its still putting all the energy high up on the mount.

17. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Meyer Trip Spring Question?????

I think Royalt91 is on the rite track and Meyers is telling you the same thing too. I was always told that when the plow is on the ground the A frame should be level. Which essentially means your pushing that plow straight forward on not down into the ground. I that a new mount set-up on that Jeep? We had a Jeep just like it , exact same color and everything. Now we have a "97 and just set it up w/ an E60 and a 2 Meter poly blade. Unfortunately we are experiencing the same problem b/c the previous owner put a 3" lift on it. So now, I too need to modify the tabs on our plow!
    JEEPS ARE COOL !!!! :) :) :)