1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Trip Pivot Pins

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edshipp19, Feb 9, 2003.

1. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Had to replace trip pivot pins in two different Meyer plows today that sheared Friday morning The design of them sucks! Even with a torch it was almost impossible to hammer out the piece left in the A-frame. After replacing them we put in grease fittings to keep them from freezing up Is it common for these to shear?
    All i kept thinking the whole time i worked on them was Thank God i don't own them Fishers are the only thing allowed to hang on my trucks
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Very common. Very poor design on Meyers part. They rust and seize up, then break off when you trip the plow. Adding a grease fitting is what Meyers should have done from the factory. :) ;) :) ED
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Been there, done that LOL And that's about the biggest PIA repair I've ever had to deal with with plows. I put grease fittings in them after seeing Chuck Smith post about it here. I think I saw someone post here that they do come from the factory with grease fittings now?
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

the grease fittings are a must i havent broke a pin yet an i hope it never happens . i keep those suckers greased well i put 2 on each side one on the aframe section an the other on the plow section .they work great
  5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

heat them cherry red then take a air hammer with round punch and drive them out, or get a BFH and piece of 1/2" all thread like my buddy did :D

6. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

My Meyer plow that I put together last year had pivot pins that were rifle drilled and a grease fitting was inserted at the end of the pin. I guess Meyer saw this was a problem and now has grease fittings.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I had 2 of theose Meyers,both tore right out too.truely a joke of plow.A Homeowner/light use only,IMO
  8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

use a homeowner plow(st90) and get homeowner results, use a commercial plow (C-series) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

use a commercial plow (C-series)
    Well today I had to put about 25' of mig wire on my "commercial meyers 8' plow" The outside pressed angle iron split about 6" up from the bottom of the moldboard. Also had to weld the next pressed angle iron in from that one where it meets the bottom brace. Seems alot of moisture and salt get in there, and corrode that angle iron from the inside out. Another great design from meyer.
  10. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Myers Plows

I ran Myers ST plows for years, for myself and even when I worked for the town. I don't know guys, I never had the problems I see reported on this site about welds, pins, etc.

But then again I would hose mine off after the storm, let it dry and spray the pins with oil a few times a year. Then I would WD-40 the snow chains, and then Millerize myself! Nothing like a cold one packed outside in snow to end the day of plowing