1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer touchpad I need help!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by travisclark, Nov 22, 2008.

1. travisclark

travisclark Junior Member
    from NJ

I purchased a used meyer plow a year ago missing the key pad. I hooked it up to my chevy pickup, bought a new touchpad and nothing happened. The touchpad lights up until i hit a button and then nothing. The little lightningbolt lights up. After having the pump tested which was fine, then replacing almost every other electrical cable on the plow, i was told my touchpad might be bad. So I bought a new one, and still nothing. What could possible be wrong spent 100s more then I wanted to for a plow that wont work. Any Idea? Should i just take it all apart and start over? Or could it be something in my truck? I just cant shovel around my plow this year my patientce are gone. :cry:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What did you connect the orange wire to that breaks out of the control harness?

3. travisclark

from NJ

It is connected to the battery ground. But it is spliced, do you think that could be the problem. The splice looks fine. How sensative are the grounds, I have checked them all but I'm going to take them all apart and reconnect them during the week. Any other ideas

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok just wanted to be sure as many guys think that since its an orange colored wire it goes to a 12V source instead of ground.

And yes the TP's are VERY sensitive to any kind of extra resistance on any of it's related circuits, not just grounds..All connections have to be nearly perfect to prevent the overload light from illuminating..

1) Go over the control harness with a fine tooth comb for any shorts or damaged areas.

2) Be sure that the terminals in the controller connecting plug are fully inserted into the plastic connector housing and in perfect condition..

3) Make sure your 12V power source supply is good as well..that includes the fuse holder connections.

5. travisclark

from NJ

B&B Thanks

Thanks i'll let u know how it turns out when I get time to check it all out again. Check back in a few days thanks Travis.

6. travisclark

from NJ

B & b

Well I just put in a brand new harness, added a ground from the battery to the engine block, disconnected the amp just to see because I am out of ideas, and still nothing but lightnig bolts. Can I troubleshoot anything else or is my truck possesed and doesn't want to plow. I even put a on a new solinoid because I broke the old one by overtightening. The old one use to click before the touchpad would shut down, the newone doesn't make any noise. Possibly a bad new solinoid? Should I go buy another? Or should I sell my plow?

7. travisclark

from NJ

now I am finally getting somewhere. I tested the solinoid and found that it was defective. Just put the newone on and now the angle left button works but I can't go up down or right without the touchpad shutting down. I'm goint to trouble shoot this again. All that wasted time over a defective solinoid! I'm getting warmer!:drinkup:

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Still sounds like a poor ground between the pump and the truck.

9. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

I have a 03 chevy with a 8' meyers and had about the same problem make sure your coil is grounded that fixed my problem

10. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

I had the same problem this morning while hooking up to go plowing. Traced all of the wires several times, got pissed and grabbed a block of wood and tapped the seloniods and the pump. surprise, everything worked just fine after a little abuse. Go figure. I lost 2 hours of plowing this morning.

11. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

How good is your solenoid grounded?

Sold three plows in the past week to DIY buyers, each one mounted the solenoid on a plastic surface, one phone call , told them to ground the solenoid, second phone cal, everything works now. Also check your three control plugs out at the pump, notorius for bad connections.

Jay

12. travisclark

from NJ

OK I gave up on the touchpad and bought a joystick, hooked it up and whenever I move it in any direction the motor turns but the the ram slowly lifts. I checked for magnetism and there is none at any of the valves, but like I said before all the wiring is new. I had the pump tested last year when i bought it and they said it tested fine. Can all the solinoids be bad? B&b help the snow is falling!!!

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If all the functions work, slow or not, then you HAVE to have magnetism on the three coils...or else you'd have no control functions.

But if it works magnetism isn't the issue here, its the slow function(s). I know you mentioned that you had it tested but the word 'tested' has many meanings and definitions when it comes to these pumps. Was it tested for pump output? How about motor amp draw? Because I'm going to bet if the functions are slow it's likely do to a weak motor, poor connection, low pump pressure, or plugged filters. But how thorough all these components were tested is just a guess at best up to this this point.

Need to check the pump press and motor draw and see where they're at.

And I can almost guarantee you that one of those possible issues was also causing your TP overload issue the entire time as well.

14. KustomKare

KustomKare Junior Member

15. sefh

sefh Senior Member

It sounds like its a bad ground or poor connections to the pump. The touchpad might work if the pump has these good connections. Make sure that you replace or check the cables coming from your solinoid to the pump and also your ground cables. Use a volt meter to make sure your cables are not breaking down from the inside.

16. 02 Stroked

02 Stroked Member

This happend to me when I first put on my plow. Check all of your connections next to the pump. It turned out for me that one of them was lose.

17. travisclark

from NJ

B&B is under paid!

B&B thanks for all the help I finally got the plow to work. What are the odds of getting a "new" bad ground cable. You were right from the begining, BAD GROUND! I thought because all wiring was new that the problem was something else, but with the joystick I was able to troubleshoot the coils, finding that hooking up a jumpercable to the top of the a coil to the neg on battery the plow went up! This proved the coils were not grounding, so I changed the "NEW" pos/neg cables with "NEWER" cables with the extra ground wire and now it works perfect, even the keypad. Thanks again to everybody who posted for all of the info. Travis
    :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:salute: Good to hear you got it straightened out Travis. And yes I've gotten many many defective parts right out of the box so I can't say I'm surprised with your discovery. Was it an aftermarket cable? I'm gonna bet it was...

19. travisclark

from NJ

Yes it was an aftermarket cable.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I thought so. Generally (and especially so) when it comes to Meyer parts you want to buy the real McCoy. It may cost more but when you have issues with off brand parts what did it really save you? You really do get what you pay for...most of the time. :waving: