1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Touchpad coversion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Sep 27, 2003.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I have an "OLD" Meyer plow 7 1/2 with E47. I have the two toggle switches for the plow movement. I am putting this on my 01 Dodge 2500 and dont want to drill holes in the dash for the controls. Is there anyway I can adapt the new Touchpad into my old wires? Or do I need a whole new wiring harness.

2. Santo

Santo Banned

NO, you most definitely will need the new harness. The Slik-stik , Touch-Pad and The 'Ol Original 2 switch all require their own harness. I'v tried the Slik Stik and Touch Pad , and I cannot get used to them.

THEY DO NOT FLOAT AND ANGLE AT THE SAME TIME. They either HOLD and ANGLE or JUST FLOAT.

Slik-Stik harness.............................$ 140.00

Touch-Pad harness.........................$ 175.00 (electronic)

My Favorite " 2 switcher "...............$ 32.00 hurry up , word out Meyer trying to phase them out. Some dist. should have some from last years stock. Although , they are pretty simple to make.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I like the slick stick the most out of all of them.The touch pad is ok too cause you can rest it on your leg or hold it in your hand.I never liked the 2 switcher.

4. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Automatic or Standard? IF automatic, go with the touchpad, IF standard, go with the Slick-Stick and install it on the shifter with the supplied bracket. You may need to put the bracket in a vice and hammer it 90 degrees. :p

5. Santo

Santo Banned

If you really really really dont want to drill any holes , mount the switch on a 2x6 or mabye a little wooden console.

6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

DUDE! I wish I had a camera! I would show you our set up. It works extremely well and NO HOLES. Try and picture this.

# 1 Take the bracket that comes with the Slick-Stick kit. It comes with a roughly 45 degree angle on it so to attach to your dash. Figure out how to bend the flange over to 90 degrees.

# 2 Find some flat stock steel. We use 2 inch wide by 3/16 thick by roughly 24 inches long. Take this piece of steel and slip it beside the drivers seat and the center console/seat. (down the crack). Line up with the front side of the drivers side seat frame. There might be a usable hole already or you may have to drill a small hole. (1/4 inch). Drill hole in flat stock steel and fasten to seat frame so top of piece extends to at least the TOP of the center console (folded down).

# 3 Now get some Vice Grips or a small clamp of some kind. Install the Slick-Stick in the bracket you just bent to 90 degrees.
    (do not install tightly, you will remove)

# 4 Sit in the drivers seat. With right hand, hold the switch bracket against the flat stock. Rest your right hand on the center console. Get comfortable. Fasten the switch bracket to the flat stock at desired height.

# 5 Remove flat stock from seat frame. Drill and bolt or weld switch bracket to stock. Re-install. If it is right. Remove and paint!

One bolt is all that is needed to hold to seat frame. Two should be used at top or weld. Good luck. PM me and I'll give phone # if you have questions. Bill

PS. You can install the Touch Pad on the same mount. You will just have to find some screws that fit the threads on the back side. Some if not all of the switch brackets are already drilled for this application.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  7. Santo

Santo Banned

Highpoint , exraordinary idea.

8. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We even welded out SnowEx controller bracket to this stand. Controller knobs are just a tad lower than the center console. Controller sets maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the console, then the plow controls are just in front. We also mounted our backup lights switch and our custom headlight Hi/Low switch on this bracket. There is just enough room on the opposite side to get the two switches in. We use short, lighted ones so we don't forget the rear lights are on.:p

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

FYI, unless they changed the touchpad, it will stay in float and angle at the same time like the old switch setup. The single stick will not hold float.

10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

What CT18 posted has been my experience with the touch pad.

There are all kinds of brackets, holders, etc. etc. for setting up all kinds of switches, controllers, etc. in vehicles if you don't want to get involved with what High Point posted, or are not the fabricating type. All kinds of options available for all kinds of vehicles.

11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Back to the original question. Yes you can adapt the touch pad to the harness you have. You will have to purchase the adapter for the plug in from the Square plug to the round one for the older touch pads. Or find a mating female plug for the touch pad.

I've got the part # at the shop if you want to call Monday 814-898-2171. You can do a simple wire connect with this plug and still remove the touch pad. You will have to add a dedicated ground for the touch pad though. This connects to the extra wire on the plug to truck ground under the dash.

I've got the pin outs for the touch pad also for the wire connect.

Jerre

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Jerre is correct. Remember all the functions are the same. Only have to add the ground. So you could wire it into any Meyer 4way pump system.

13. Santo

Santo Banned

Im told The adapter for the plug is not sold separately.You have to purchase the harness to get the plug.

14. Jerre Heyer

I stock them on the shelf. Older model harnesses had round plug. New have rectangle. The new controllers are all rectangle so to use with an old harness the jumper plug is necessary.

Maybe your sources aren't giving you all the options. Jerre

15. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Definitely check around, I got 2 new pads last year and my dealer took back the plugs and gave me a credit on them because I didn't need them.

Marshall

16. Santo

Santo Banned

Probably.

17. Jerre Heyer

Meyer part # 15766. Available alone or with harness / Controller

Red/ Green / Black / White to existing harness colors.

Blue to KEY ON POWER

Orange to ground.

Jerre