1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer TM 6.5 trip springs adjustment?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by info4tim, Dec 28, 2013.

1. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Just bought a Meyer TM 6.5 plow with the 2 small trip springs. Both springs look like they're collapsed all the way, yet have gaps just a bit bigger than a credit card. Question: Are these springs "shot"? Also, just plowed my first bit of snow with it. Specifically ~ 7" in a driveway (before it all melted :-( ). Plow tripped once after I'd backdragged a bit of snow then drove over it first. Used to own a larger Meyer ST 7.5 with the 2 factory springs, and had to add another spring in middle with very good results. Should I also plan on adding a 3rd to this TM 6.5?
    Thanx so much for your time.
    Think *S*N*O*W* !!
  2. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Sounds as though they're adjusted properly (gaps you describe) for a starting position, but you might need a little more. A spring is a pretty simply device so they don't really go bad until they break or do not spring back (plastic deformation). If you release the tensioner bolts they should collapse to no gap or very near. If they don't then yes replace them.

If they are not resisting tripping quite enough for your liking just tighten them up a little more. No harm in that. I added the third spring to my 7.5 but I adjust the springs based on results while plowing not just the preset gap. Just a little extra gets me to the sweet spot so I trip on objects and frozen banks but can still push normal banks and crust like you describe.
  3. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Thanks for your prompt response. so by "tightening up" a bit, you mean simply loosening the nuts to let springs collapse more? thanks again n looks like you Maine folks are in for yet another wintery blast!
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Other way around, tightening the nut will tighten the spring, increasing tension.
  5. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Correct. You need to stretch the spring to "tighten" it, or to resist tripping. There are 2 nuts per spring bolt I suppose, the one on the spring side is just to tighten the assembly up once adjusted so it doesn't vibrate loose. So loosen that one, adjust the other one, and then tighten the spring side one again.

You can first back the adjuster off to prove the your spring is still good (it should fully collapse) and then go totally loose, you will be able to move the blade easily on it's pivots. Once you're there it'll becomes clear which way you need to go to tighten it and keep it from tripping.
  6. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Ok so I'm understanding that the farther apart each spring coil is from each other, the tighter or more resistance there is to tripping? then why am I seeing blogs for just being able to slip a bus card inbetween each coil for optimum adjustment/tension?
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

myers says 4 turns more of the nuts after the springs have started to expand