1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Super v2 vs. Blizzard 8611 vs. Boss DXT 10'

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by YakimaStilley, Dec 2, 2013.

1. YakimaStilley

YakimaStilley Junior Member

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site (first post). I have been reading and doing most of my research on this site for awhile. Great tool!

Now to the discussion...

I currently have a Western Unimount 8'6" straight blade with Pro Tech wings installed. I recently purchased a 2000 F550 4X4 and would like to put a new plow on it. My goal is to purchase the most efficient plow for moving 2"-8" of snow on a regular basis. Most of my lots are about the size of a Pizza Hut parking lot (2 are actually PH parking lots) with a few 2+ acre lots. I currently only plow commercial lots, but am planning on expanding into the residential side most of which will be long driveways out in the country.

I have done quite a bit of research and the 3 plows that most intrigue me are the Meyer Super v2, Blizzard 8611, and the Boss DXT 10'.

I am told that the Blizzard 8611 will be more efficient then the two v plows listed...

Pros(in my opinion)
    Meyer Super V2 = 10'6" in a v plow! Versatility of a v plow. Could possibly install Pro Tech wings for the big lots to really cut some time putting me at 12'2" in overall width (not sure this is a good idea though?).
    Boss DXT 10' = From what I've read it is really hard to beat a Boss. This plow just looks and sounds like a tough plow for commercial use. Even though it isn't as wide as the Meyer, my gut tells me it is a much better plow not having used either. Both full trip and trip edge technology. Also possibly install Pro Tech wings for the big lots to really cut some time.
    Blizzard 8611 = I'm told that this plow will cut a bit more time off compared to the 2 v plows. It is manufactured by DD so the assumption is that it is also a tough plow.

Cons(in my opinion)
    Meyer Super V2 = Meyer has kind of a bad name from what I can see based on the last models of V's.
    Boss DXT 10' = Pretty darn expensive! Hard to justify spending the money if it is indeed not as productive as the Blizzard 8611
    Blizzard 8611 = Though I am hearing that it is very productive and will save time, I have also heard that the wings sometimes will freeze in a position if you strike something a bit to hard. Also that it snaps back with quite a bit of force when the blade is tripped, hard enough to crack lights.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Biggest thing you're missing is dealer support. While I keep spare parts and plows you might not, and the dealer that has the best service DURING the storm would win my vote. I have a great local D&D dealer, but the boss and Meyer dealers aren't open in a storm. Also a 550 to plow a pizza hut? Bit big IMO. My 3500 GM is sometimes to much of a hassle in the smaller size lots like that!
  3. YakimaStilley

Thank you. I really appreciate the input!

As far as the wings, it was just a thought to take a wider bight in those big lots that take many passes. I'm not sure of the idea myself.

As for the dealers, there isn't much dealer support here in Washington State. There is a SnowDogg dealer locally and then a Meyer dealer a few hours away. I will end up stocking parts and doing most of the work myself (as I have in the past). If something is over my head I have a local guy who can fix just about anything (he hasn't let me down yet). I am fortunate that I know a couple guys that have plow trucks that they only use to plow their personal stuff. They both have said that if I need a plow in a tight spot that I can barrow theirs.

As far as the F550, I need this size truck for the spring, summer and fall months for the other part of my business. I agree that it will be cumbersome on the smaller lots, but the goal is to have a smaller 4X4 by next fall with a smaller set up. I'm thinking about a Jeep Wrangler with a 7'ish straight blade or maybe a small v.

Thanks again for the input. I really appreciate it!
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think any of them would work for you. I guess I would go with the Blizzard. It will do what you want it to do and is optimum for the lots. Plus, you don't have to screw around fabbing up wings and spending more money on wings. If you enjoy fabbing stuff up though; well that is another story...
  5. YakimaStilley

Yeah, I've thought about experimenting in the future with fab'n the components I like into one plow, but for now I would like to just plug and play with as little hassle as possible.

Thanks again!
  6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

After last years blizzard, i firmly believe that if youre only going to own one plow it needs to be a V. If you have multiples get an expanding and use it on the light snows
  7. YakimaStilley

I think I understand where you're coming from, but can you elaborate as to why...?
  8. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Having 12' of plow is a problem when theres 32" of snow on the ground. When youre running 3 trucks put an expanding on one and it eill be great on most storms. But it will never turn into a v when you need to break out heavy snow.
  9. YakimaStilley

That is where I thought you were going with it. Very good point. Which v plows do you recommend? I like the Boss DXT 10' and the Meyer Super 10'6". I talked to a dealer today about the new Western MVP3 9'6", but that's a foot shorter than the Meyer.

Another thing I like about the Meyer is the 5 year warranty when you register online.
  10. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I've owned blizzards since 2003. LOVE THEM.

Having a V for a 32" storm is nice. But ask yourself this, how often do you get 15"+ of snow? Or 10" of wet snow. Would it be worth not having the most efficient plow on the market for that once in 10 year storm? You'd be losing money every time you start the truck compared to the blizzard. The most i've plowed with my blizzard 810 is 12", and did not have much of a problem. Only thing that slowed it down was the frozen piles on entrenches from the highway department that were 5' tall.

Id also considering your lots. Wide open, expandable way better. Smaller, lots of islands, possibly the V.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Who is running a 12' plow?

Blizzard 8611 will only be 8'6" at minimum.

When is the last time you had 32" of snow?

Personally, I'll run plows that are the best 99% of the time. And for that 1%, yeah, it's going to suck, but with the weight that a 550 can hold, it is a far different animal than a 350 or 250.

As for the Blizzard slamming back and breaking lights, that's a new one. Is it possible? I'm sure it is, but so is ripping the plow off the front of one's truck.

Except for one, my entire truck fleet is Blizzards. 3 8611's on 2 550's and 1 450. For my work and my type of snowfalls, there is nothing better. I have 3 350's with 8611 LP's. A JD with an 8611. A Toolcat with an 810. A F800 with an 8611.

Since the 8611 is still PH1, they aren't much different than pre-DD 8611's. Different pump but I think they have that worked out.
  12. YakimaStilley

"Since the 8611 is still PH1, they aren't much diffeent than pre-DD 8611's. Different pump but I think they have that worked out."

k, your going to have to school me a little bit... What does all this mean? About the only part I think I understand is the "DD" (Douglas Dynamics). As I understand it, Blizzard was purchased by DD. If I read into your statement a little, the old "pre-DD" are better? Lilweeds made this statement earlier in this thread (in his opinion).
  13. Mark Oomkes

The old style Blizzards, pre-DD, are better, there is no doubt about it.

Basically DD weakened the plow so that it would be lighter and fit on more platforms. They eliminated structural steel. Except for the 8611's, which still have a boxed moldbard and PH1 mount.

I would never by a DD Blizzard other than an 8611, of which I have 3 that are post-DD and 2 that are pre-DD.
  14. YakimaStilley

Are you happy with the post DD 8611, specifically compared to your pre DD?

If I were to look for a pre DD, where would be a good place to look?
  15. Mark Oomkes

Yes, but mine were after the pump gear debacle.

If I knew, I would have bought 1 or 10. It's difficult to find 8611's for sale. Pre or post.

If you're going with the 8611, you'll be fine with the post-DD.

FWIW, I do small, medium and some large lots. The 8611 will handle any of them just fine. If I were you, my choice would be the 8611, hands down.

Different animal, but I plowed\salted a bank and dentist lot combo last year with an F800\8611 in approximately 30 minutes, combined they are less than half an acre. I then went to a mall we do that is over 5 acres. Plowed and salted that in 2.5 hours. I love the 550-650 size trucks. Maneuverable, can carry a lot of salt and don't get bogged down until you start getting a lot of snow. Like a foot+.

You load your 550 up and you will seldom need 4WD, unless it's hilly by you. This will help with turning immensely. On the 550 I just sold I only needed it when using the back plow or a lot of snow on the roads.
  16. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy THE BOSS V, I got the first one in the 90's and still run them. Here in WI where I do a lot of longer residential driveways there is a problem with drifting. I would not get them open with a straight blade. Also the towns are some what lacking in cleaning the roads. So it is handy to run the V plow a few inches off the road to blow through the drifts. I have one 8'2" with wings that make it 10'. To me the V plow can adapt to any kind of plowing that you may do. A 10' DXT with wings (if they make them for it) would be almost 12'. The BOSS wings are very nice, they look like part of the plow and not an after thought. Go off and on in seconds.
  17. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

And I forgot, Yes they do cost more. But I believe you get what you pay for and I have never said to my self "I wish I would have gotten the cheaper one". Not saying the others are cheap I just don't use them. Now I think maybe once I got something cheap and regretted it. Tried to make it better and spent more than if I would have just got what I wanted to start with. Or maybe that was in a bad dream. :p
  18. YakimaStilley

Mark, thank you very much! it looks like I will be buying a Blizzard 8611lp plow.

Storks Auto in Bernville, PA has them for $6k plus shipping. I will probably be ordering by the end of the week.

Yeah, I'm excited to set my F550 up. I have been driving a 450 4x4 for 2 years for the company I work for in the hop industry. The only difference between that one and the one I bought is I went with a 2000 7.3 (so older) vs the 2008 6.4 I drive for the hop supply company. I'm pretty pumped to get'r set up!
  19. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Yakima, DO NOT BY the lp. It is called low pro. Its a lightweight 8611 and it has all the disadvatages of being post-DD as mention before. THey did change the LP, but not the full size 8611. Your truck can handle the full size so do your self a favor and get it. It's heavier and i believe 2" taller. So it will hold more snow.

Max, the only reason the Vs work for you is because you do driveways. Which are small. Open lots or big places, the blizzards will run circles around Vs all day. Again, buy the plow that is suited best to your buiness and needs.

Also, when you wear out the edges. Do not buy stock ones. Call up Jerre at Jerres Service in Erie, PA and order a set with carbides on them. They will last 5x as long at 2x the price. So big savings there. I have 2 sets that I have had on mine since 09. Still going to be able to run them this year.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  20. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I would agree with mae that the LP might not be the best choice in this situation. Not because it is the newer design, but because it is a bit light for a medium-duty truck. You are talking over 500 lbs. of steel worth of difference. That is a major difference.
    I think all the plow choices you gave would serve you well. My biggest concern would be dealer service since only a stocking parts dealer can get you working again fast.