1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer ST series or C series

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by J&R Landscaping, Aug 9, 2007.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I was up looking at plows last week. I have a 94 Ford F250. This will be my first year plowing commercially. I'm looking into a few different plows but was wondering what the difference is between the 2. I know the C series has the springs in a different location and has 4 springs as compared to 3.

I am looking for either a 7.5 or 8 foot setup. Thanks for any help.

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

ST-7.5 is the standard duty meyers which everyone buys. AKA the 50 year old design POS. The C-8, has a wider U frame, Heavier A frame, 2" cylinders VS 1.5" cylinders, 4 springs. But has a even worst time of the pins rusting in place. You can't heat them up to bang them out when you break one. Unless you cut open the side of the pin box and then reweld it. They also fold real easy when you smack a curb hard when mounted to a dump truck. I owned both a ST-7.5 and a C-8.5.

Personally I would look at any other plow brand VS meyers.

3. J&R Landscaping

Thanks for the input. I would love to get my hands on a Western ultramount setup or a Fisher setup. (Many of the other lco's at the storage yard I'm at run fishers so if needed, a backup blade would be availible. I have been looking around but can seem to find many fishers that are nic and affordable at the moment.

4. itsgottobegreen

You got time, if you look long enough you will find one. Figure about $2000 fore a nice used one.

5. J&R Landscaping

Anyone else with suggestions?

6. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I'll go the other way and probably confuse you even more. I've been running an ST90 for five years. It was mounted on a 97 Chev 2500 that I bought. Its probably 10 years old. I haven't broken a thing on it other than a spring. Put a new cutting edge and 3 new springs on it last season and had the pump (E60) rebuilt one time. If the price is right buy it. Parts are readily available if it does break. They all break sooner or later if you really use them. Mine is in use for 12-14 hours per storm. After 10 years it is showing some sign of wear and tear and is getting some pin holes in the moldboard.

7. J&R Landscaping

Thanks for the input. Parts are easily availible for the meyers more then other brands in my area.

8. itsgottobegreen

That because you always breaking parts on meyer. You never see spare parts for other brands, because you usually don't need them. :rolleyes:

9. J&R Landscaping

I think that has something to do with it but at the same time, I meant my previous statement to mean that there are more local meyer dealers then there are dealers for boss, western, fisher etc...

10. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

I like the Meyer, I had an ST 7.5 on my F-250 and never had a problem. I don't really get all the bashing on the Meyer plow. As I have said before, take care of your plow the same way you take care of you truck, and it will last. Leave it outside uncovered all year, don't do any maintance on it and it will break.

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i run 7.5 st's on 2 of my trucks and have a c-8 on my dodge the c8 is alot heavier than the st's but ive made alot of money with both .

JR

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

don't be afraid of buying into a Meyer we run four meyer (2-c's and 2-hm's) and two western pro's... my first plow was a Meyer st and IMO they are little boy plows and not intended for any use outside of doing your personal drive. i remember getting so mad at that plow because it would trip on a frozen dog turd. however i love the C's and really love the HM's.....just to let you know about repairs...... i've been running the oldest C plow for 8 years and had only two repairs....

13. J&R Landscaping

Well, thanks for the input. I found a Meyers C7.5 that will mount right up to my truck. I'm prolly going to be buying that.

14. itsgottobegreen

I would still suggest trying to find another brand. Unless you got it for a killer deal like $100 or so.

15. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I know you hate Meyer, but many people have no problems with them. I personally would never buy another Fisher product, had 1 constant problems ended up twisting the blade. Now I have all Meyer products and am happy with the performance of them. My newest one is at least 8 years old I know my guys abuse the stuff.

16. itsgottobegreen

I know some people have never had a problem with their 20 year old meyers. But there are far more guys who can't make an entire storm with out a problem with a 5 day old plow. I worked at a snow plow shop, plus repair all my subs stuff. I seen far more meyers with problems than any other plow brand. They have 50 year old design flaws. Any if you don't do extensive maintaince to them every year, you are going to have problems. You can let a lot of other plows just sit, hook up and they work. Its a crap shoot if you let a meyer sit all year.

Also I sit own meyer now. A E-60, E-47, a complete ready to go 7.5' STL blade, U frame, A frame, 2 motors for pumps, relays, custom hoses, etc. Plus every other spare part you can think of for a meyer. These are kept solely to have spares for my subs who still own meyer. And trust me, during a storm, I have had to used almost every part more than once. AS for the rest of my parts I keep for western, fisher and curtis plows. Very few of them every get used. Including spare pumps, motors, etc.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  17. J&R Landscaping

Well, its not quite that cheap, Its gonna be running me about 2 grand but its the heavier C blade. The seller has everything for it and is going to help me install the plow on my truck as well. The whole setup is in damn good condition and its 5 years old or so.

18. itsgottobegreen

BTW if you want, I got a 2 year old 7.5' curtis that is currently on a 1997 F-250 that I can let you have for $1800 and I would be willing to help you install it. This truck is owned by my cousin and is about to be traded on a 99 7.3 and is going get a wide out. The plow can be picked up in either allentown,PA, Williow Grove, PA or Fredrick, MD

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007
  19. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

curtis ? there not to popular in the se pa area . when it breaks you screwed .
    atleast with the meyer parts are readily aval.

hope the wideout holds up for you . seems like western is having quality issues just look at the tornado spreader. i see theres a bet running on another site as to how long the wideout will last.

JR

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buy a plow you can get parts for.

Meyer is addressing the quality of their plows and Hydraulics, in the next couple years they will have an entirely new product line. You don't redesign something that works. As a dealer I sell the brand plow i sell because of it's reliability. I don't sell Meyer because I hate working on a 6 month old plow in the middle of the night.

That said, many people have used Meyers for many years. Yes they are the most repaired plow in my shop, with the Western unimount running a close second. Both have maintenance needs that if not addressed will cause failure. Meyer are slow, want regular fluid changes, you need to convert the swivel els to a more durable system, and they have a propensity to burn up coils and swell solenoid plungers.

Meyers will also work your truck harder on long pushes, the attack angle on the meyer does not roll the snow as well as other brands requiring more power to push equal weights.

One thing you can say about Meyer, they are a known commodity, I suggest avoiding unproven equipment like the new DDizzards, If you want that style plow buy the real thing not a cheap knock-off that's bound to have issues.