1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer spreader motor change?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JonnyCash, Jan 6, 2012.

1. JonnyCash

JonnyCash Junior Member

Hi,
    I recently picked up an older meyer mini spreader. I need to change the motor, but I'm not sure how it attaches to the spinner/auger shaft. Everything is pretty rusty, and I can't see if there is a set screw or if it just pulls off. Hopefully somebody can help me out before I break something.
    Thanks,
    Jon

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

is it the square/retangular one?? motor underneath the spinner? pics would be nice

3. JonnyCash

JonnyCash Junior Member

Yes. The square one with the motor underneath. I ended up prying the motor off the shaft by driving wedges between it and the mounting plate. After it was off I was able to check the inside, and found the screw. I corrosponded that spot with the outside of the hub and found that the screw had been broken off and rust had filled the hole. I don't seem to have a drill bit sharp enough to drill the old set screw out, so I am going to try to buy a new hub. Hopefully this thing will spread some material when I need it to.

4. dieselss

5. JonnyCash

JonnyCash Junior Member

Thanks for the link. The hub is really the only part I need. Definately going to be using SS nuts and bolts.

6. dieselss

Yea. Makes a world of difference later on.

7. JonnyCash

JonnyCash Junior Member

Found the hub on ebay for $30. I picked this spreader up with no wiring. I have it wired, but I'm not sure which way its supposed to spin. I'm thinking clockwise, but that's just a guess. Not a big deal to swap the wires if it doesn't spread, but maybe if somebody knows the direction, it will save me from doing it in the snow.
    Thanks again for the help.

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

ccw is the correct direction add plenty of never seze

9. JonnyCash

JonnyCash Junior Member

Ok thanks. I had a 50/50 shot.

10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  11. JonnyCash

JonnyCash Junior Member

Yes. The unit came with 2 extra motors, and they both work. Thanks for the offer, I appreciate all the help.