1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer solenoid same as Ford starter solenoid?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by JMHConstruction, Aug 29, 2016.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Sent the wife to pick up some parts for me while I was busy today at the Meyer dealer. Gave her a list of crap, one being a couple solenoids. The guy said they have them, but they're about half the price at an auto parts store. He said they're the same as a Ford starter solenoid. Has anyone heard this? If so is there a specific year and model I need to ask for? If this is true maybe this thread will help someone else save a little money. Thanks guys.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Meyers uses a three terminal solenoid. Two large, one small. It grounds through its base. Make sure you mount it to something metal. Or you will have to run a ground wire. Year Ford, 1970s to early 80s. I guess.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

4. JMHConstruction

As always, thanks for the help Randall!Thumbs Up

Just to give everyone who looks at this thread an ending, here is what I've found out. Autozone seemed to have the cheapest (by $1) from all the auto stores around here. I just got online and filled in the crap for a 1980 ford f250 5.0 (I'm sure they're all the same in those years, but that's what I clicked on first) and sure enough it's the same thing. Problem was it's only about $5 or less (US) cheaper. So unless you need one right away, just get online. Found a few on ebay for less than $10.

5. JMHConstruction

Sorry diesel, you posted that as I was typing. I'll check it out.

6. dieselss

Remember to look at the normal amp rating, and maximum amp rating, continuous or noncontinuous duty.

7. JMHConstruction

The one I was going to pick up for now at autozone says solenoid duty cycle: intermittent. Doesn't say amp ratings. It looks 100% identical to to the one through the meyer dealer. Is it not the same? It's only $5 cheaper, but it's easier for me to run to autozone whenever I want than to try and get across town during their short normal hours.

8. dieselss

IMO you get what you pay for. No.offensive but you sound why to worried about price then quality.

Intermittent might not be h.d. for a plow.
    I can't say there the same, there's a good possibly they are.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

OK, in a word, Auto Zone electrical components are CRAP! Why ain't you closer, I got shelves of this stuff. You can use a Western solenoid. Just ground one of the small terminals.

10. JMHConstruction

I'm more worried about price for the same product. If I can save money and convenience I'll purchase at the cheaper price. With that said, if it were me and not my wife I would have just bought the meyer one, because it was cheaper to get it there than have me now go somewhere else, but whatever. I just assumed they were all the same and was going off a he said she said. If it's worth paying extra for even a different one (like what you suggested with your link) I'll go that route.

11. JMHConstruction

I wish I was closer! Plow stuff is much cheaper up there too! I just payed $200 for a cutting edge that I've seen online for places up north for half that (shipping was too much though). I have to get some stuff that she forgot any way so I'll just pick up a meyer one for now and order a better one online and use the Meyer as a spare. I just need something now to hook up the plow so I can make sure everything still works, before and after my pump rebuild. Not really looking forward for that one...

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

In the many years of having Meyer plows I have used Ford solenoids many times. Now this was only done to get me through until I replaced with a Meyer solenoid. I have actually hooked up to the starter solenoid in my F150 to finish out a storm. Just remember to not shut the truck off. Ford Solenoids are a cheap back up and will work. These old Meyer pumps actually draw less amps than most newer pumps out there.

dieselss likes this.