1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer solemoid

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by poncho62, Dec 17, 2009.

1. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Last week, the solenoid for the motor stuck on...it was really old.......I didn't feel like running into town, so I stuck on a smaller one from a garden tractor....This morning, it started doing it too....I figure it is too low an amp rating.....

We don't have a dealer around here, so I am thinking about using a Ford starter solenoid......I figure the rating on it will be fine.....Anyone feel this will be a problem?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can in your case but they don't live very long regardless. They're not designed for the repetitive use that is seen on a plow application. Temporary/emergency use is ok, but otherwise purchase a good solenoid. And the more you send the longer it will last.

3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Thanks...I put one on...$17 at NAPA....should last a while, as I just do my own yard with it

There was also one that is used for RVs, when using a cabin battery, to charge it while driving.......In an RV it is energized whenever the ignition is on.....I just wasnt sire it would take the amps, so I passed on it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I guess nobody reads anymore. That was answered with recomendations from a PRO on this same page.

5. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I read just fine, thanks.........I put it on yesterday, long before his answer came in......I also understand that it may not last a long time, hence my explanation........I also asked another question about the RV one, which I am sure he will answer in time.

Thanks for your concern as to my ability to comprehend

6. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

If, and when you need another one, buy a continuous duty model like they put in golf carts. They cost twice the price, but they last forever, and won't let you down in the middle of a storm!!:salute:

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Sorry Poncho, I didn't mean to say that you can't comprehend. I just tried to make a point that your question was already answered in a two part post calleds Touch Pad / Solenoid by B&B 19 post below yours where Finallygot1 asked a Solenoid question on 11-29 and B&B answered it all about the solenoids. I was so impressed with the answer that I copyied it and put it in a file. I'm sorry, but I thought you read all the posts to keep up with everything. My mistake, sorry.

8. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

No problem...guess I missed that thread....got a link?

9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

For my CP-8 with a E60, B&B recommended a 114-1211-020. Poncho, it is not cheap but either is a Touch Pad.

11. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Thanks...will $30 is not bad.......My problem is, I am retired, broke....and also cheap....LOL

I only use this truck to do my own yard, so if something breaks, its not that big a deal. I have a small tractor with a blade too...... It is just an old Meyer, no touch pad, just the switch system........In the last couple of years, I have replaced the coils, motor, rebuilt the lift cylinder, now the solenoid......I think I should be good for a while.....although, the truck is just about beat.....am looking for something else to put the plow on......cheap....lol