1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Snow Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Amazingearth, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Amazingearth

Amazingearth Junior Member
    from 20132

I have a Meyer plow with a E-58 pump. The first storm this year in November, it drained my battery and a solenoid fried. Charged the battery and replaced my solenoid. Next storm the same thing happened, tested the alternator and that said it was bad. Replaced it, two weeks later another alternator shot. Then, last night, another alternator. So I have been through two since the first of December. The alternator doesn't go out until plow is hooked up. Any idea what could be wrong?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Plow motor? Wiring to the plow motor? Plow motor.
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What truck? Connections clean? What size alternator? What fluid are you using in pump?
  4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Is your belt staying tight? You didn't say what year truck but is if you have a tensioner, is it froze up?

Depending on your truck......

Alternators hate heat! A slipping belt could be heating up the alternator which is transferring the heat through the rotor to the backside rotor bearing which will transfer the heat from there to the back casing which is where your diode plate and regulator sit on.
  5. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Where are you buying the alt ???