1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer shoes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CaptG, Feb 9, 2010.

1. CaptG

CaptG Junior Member

I have a 7.5 meyer standard blade that does not have shoes.

It does have the collars present for them

My question is : what is the purpose of the shoes and do I really need to have them (I have found them to be around $26.00 each)

I am able to plow just fine without them and remove the plow for summer storage with no problem.

Thanks for the anticipated replies!

2. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

shoes are more for plowing gravel or dirt, they just keep the cutting edge up a little bit to keep from digging everything up too much. Most guys don't use them, unless plowing alot of these type accounts. Even when plowing these, once the ground freezes up good you don't really need them.

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Yeah the shoes make great paper weights.

Even for gravel they don't do much-considering that the high spot in a driveway is right in the middle. Unless you run the shoes extended many inches, you will still hit the center ridge. Your best bet for gravel is to slightly raise the plow so it lightly touches. Takes some practice.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Funny you say that. Mine are holding down a tarp on a firewood pile :laughing: