1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Service/fluids

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by APBAinMaine, Jul 29, 2014.

1. APBAinMaine

APBAinMaine Member

I have a Meyer SVLD. There used to be two Meyer dealers within an hour, now there are none. One of the former dealers is willing to do the service, but for reasons I'd rather not get into, I'm not thrilled with that option. The Fisher dealer who did all the work on my old plow (and who I loved) is closer and is willing to service my plow, but the question is, would it be a problem to use Fisher hydraulic fluids (and any other fluids) in my Meyer plow. My guess is it would not, but I don't want to make a $5000 mistake, either. :eek:

Thanks in advance for insights.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They're all the same.

3. APBAinMaine

APBAinMaine Member

Cool. That's what I figured/hoped. Back to my preferred garage, then. Thanks!

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

NO they're not. YES he can use Fisher fluid but the Meyer fluid must be drained and the unit flushed before changing. Dissimilar fluid is not a good thing.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Same **** different label.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

the Fisher Minute Man2 manual says EZ Flow fluid is spec'd as 5606A, which is a subset of 5606. In English, this means its physical characteristics are very similar to the Snoway and Boss fluids, plus many other aftermarket fluids, mainly aircraft-designated fluids are compatible.

Jhon-Deer makes a good flush too.

but just running a flush in a cold system with out pressurizing it or taking further measures will only get the loose stuff out of the system ,
    then when you flush you will need to disconnect your return's and catch the fluid in a bucket or your just recirculating the contamination,
    http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29458/flushing-hydraulic-system

ps you can just use the fluid your going to use as a flushing fluid....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nono: ever play with them both? DD and snoway fluid smells and feels totally different then Meyer fluid. We've mixed Western and Snoway, Fisher and Snoway, Boss and Snoway, Boss and Western, Meyer and everything, ATF and everything, froze them, thawed them, let them sit in the sun. In both vented and sealed containers, with and without water added.

Some fluids will mix, Meyers fluid, it doesn't play well with others.

I had this picture handy. This is straight Snoway fluid (DD fluid reacts the same) with some water added in a sealed container, don't know what separated to cloud the water but something in the fluid is water soluble. The water (and it's "additive") will freeze, it also goes in to suspension (bloends not mixes) if shaken but separates once allowed to settle. Wish I had a picture handy of the vented contianer, that has a green nasty slime that grew on the container where the water and fluid meet when sitting.

This is why unserviced pumps will run fine until the operator stops for a cup of coffee and a bite to eat, the water seperates, settles and freezes.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good Advice.

IMO while the new fluid works, Meyer's Hydra-flush (or John Deere's, etc) will do a better job, they have cleaners and lubricants that the 5606 fluid doesn't (though Meyer puts a LOT of stuff in their fluid.