1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer salt/sand spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by grubenator, Dec 2, 2004.

1. grubenator

grubenator Junior Member
    from wi,mn

has anyone heard how well the salt/sand spreader from meyer works the one that connects to the talegate?

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plow site :waving:

I have not used one but, I think that if you are a little more specific on what model tail gate spreader you have or want, some one here will have defiantly have used it and will be more than willing to help you.

3. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I have one of the Buyers brand hitch mounted spreaders and I like it alot. Meyers and western also offer one identical to it. They hold 600 lbs of #1 salt, but it goes pretty fast in a parking lot. Mine has the optional reese hitch mount that is stabilized by 2 pieces of angle iron going to the bed rails. I have pics but am not sure if I can post pics or links. I don't want to be yelled at, and haven't finished reading the rules, ( too much good stuff on here to just read the rules, can't pry myself off the forums! )

4. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Meyer spreader with vibrator

The new Meyer Mate is an excellent spreader. The engineers at Meyer really did there job well when they designed the Mate. At Karrier Company we have a saying, "Once you have a spreader with a vibrator, you'll never own another spreader with one." The Meyer Mate comes with the same vibrator included in the Sure-Flow kit by Karrier. That makes the Mate extremely versatile. Spread salt, sand or a mixture with the Mate. You'll like the way the Meyer Mate spread.

Bob Church

5. somm

somm Senior Member

Chaser is 'right on the money' with both, but especially the first part of his two posts at this Must-Read Thread:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=20262
    this should be real helpful.

Our Meyer-Mini ( Class 3 Hitch Tailgate ) Spreader from 2000, works great but only best on flat to 15-degree grades: otherwise when u ramp up-into steeper grades, u scrape the motor's bottom on a drive-into, and really wallop-the-$#%+ outta-it if you back-into a steeper grade or steep driveway.
    (was bad enough for us to need to put a sledge hammer to the actual motor housing cylinder to free up the actual spreader-spindle)

If you're going to be doing alot of pickup-truck-mounted-spreader-deicing, go for the newer generation of in-the-bed, poly-v-boxes with vibrators, with the highest "above-the-bumper" location of both the motor and the spreader-spindle as possible, to avoid the inherent "bottoming-out" of these live power components below the Class 3 Hitch Tailgate Spreader on steeper grades of more than 10-15 degrees.

Our experience in St. Louis (worse freeze thaw cycle than Detroit) is to never leave ANYTHING in the spreader hopper overnight (especially outdoors) !!

-Somm

6. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

"If you're going to be doing alot of pickup-truck-mounted-spreader-deicing, go for the newer generation of in-the-bed, poly-v-boxes with vibrators, with the highest "above-the-bumper" location of both the motor and the spreader-spindle as possible, to avoid the inherent "bottoming-out" of these live power components below the Class 3 Hitch Tailgate Spreader on steeper grades of more than 10-15 degrees"

JUNK!

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

at least with the mate you spread both unlike the others are just doing rock salt

8. grubenator

grubenator Junior Member
    from wi,mn

i bought the meyer mate salt spreader

well guys i bought the meyer mate salt and sand spreader with a viberator , the wirings is ok they dont leave you enought wire to wire a ewxt cab trucks but over all it is i very nice unit just need snow and ice to use it. if any one has any questions please ask , thanks the grubenator