1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer questions from newbie

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bucholzi, Nov 9, 2004.

1. bucholzi

bucholzi Junior Member
    from Norway

Hi,
    This winter I'll be doing my own plowing with a 1984 chevy K20 6.2L diesel and a meyer 7.5 feet polyurethane plow, so thought I would ask a few questions.

First, I've noticed that meyer seem to have a rather poor reputation and I was just wondering what the main issues are? Is it the EZ-mounting systems? I have an old plow with the mounting permanently bolted on to the frame, and this seems to be a nearly indestructible construction. I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, just wondering if there is something I should be aware of?

Second, I was wondering about lifting the truck 4" on the springs and maybe a 2" body lift, in order to fit bigger tires in the summertime (35" or 37"). In the wintertime I'll stick to the same tiresize as I got now (32"), so the lift affecting the plow won't be any bigger than the 4". I was hoping to leave the mount were it is, but will this mess up the angle on the plow? The mount can be easily relocated about 2" down (however not something I would like to do each time I wish to use the truck without the plow), but I would like to keep the mount up and out of the way when taking the truck offroad.

Since I live in Norway, where plowing with pickup trucks are VERY unusal (usually a tractor with a rear mounted snowblower is used), my only source of information is the internet, so I hope you can help me with my questions!

Thank You
    Simen Jørgensen

2. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Well, welcome to the site. I have had a couple of Meyers units over the years. They seem to run a little slow but other than that aren't that bad. I found mine to be pretty strong. You should do all right with it. I would not lift the truck too much as it will affect the angle of the plow. When you change the angle of attack, you change the ability of the plow to cut into the snow and you change the direction of the force behind the plow. Meaning you will find that it spends a lot of time in the "tripped" position because you are pushing it into the ground instead of along the surface.

3. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

I have a Ez-Mount 8 foot Poly on my 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and it has been the biggest headache ever. The first problem is when you angle the blade left, the right side of the blade is up in the air about 2 inches even on flat surfaces. Same goes for when I angle it right. I talked to the dealer and they would not be covered under warranty. If anyone else has this problem the problem is a factory miss weld. When they welded the part when the A-frame connects to the truck they miss welded the brackets. The only way to fix this is buy a new undercarriage. Plus in the mean time it bent my right side angle cylinder. Plus i have had lots of problems with my E-60 an my 1985. All I know is that this will be my last Meyer plow.

4. A&M Snowplowing

Also my 8 foot Meyer roted out on my 1985 silverado. I even waxed the thing and washed it after every use. This is the reason i went and put a BEST plow on the truck. Best money I ever spent.

5. bucholzi

bucholzi Junior Member
    from Norway

I haven't had any issues with it operating slow or tilting wrong yet, so I won't worry about the plow and use and abuse it according to the weather.

And a suspension lift won't be an issue before next summer, so depending on me having trouble with the plow tripping alot as the setup is now (will be mainly plowing on gravel roads, with an uneven surface), I'll reconsider doing the lift after this season.

Thanks for the replies!

6. A&M Snowplowing

It won't start to sit uneven until the edge starts to wear down. Give it about 1 to 2 months and check to see if it does that. That is when mine started to do it. Also the one guy who plows for me has the same problem on his Dodge Ram 1500.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

been using meyer plows for 20 yrs NEVER had a problem
    most problems are pump related selonoids sticking etc.
    if your plow rotted out usually its because it probaly wasnt taken care of
    ( washing the blade and repainting)
    seasonal maint.is important no matter what brand you use
    john

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

About 5 yrs using Meyers now, only problems have been from not servicing pump properly(flushing and changing fluid). My oldest was bought used, it's a "78 model... Have seen 1 bent a-frame, truck had a 6" lift. Rust out on Meyer plows are usually behind ribs, Make sure sure the bottoms of the ribs can drain and flush them out....

By the way my fisher rotted out really fast...