1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Len Pippin, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Len Pippin

Len Pippin Junior Member

I have an 8' Meyer Plow with the joystick.
    When I angle to the left the plow comes to a nice easy stop, however, when I angle the plow to the right the plow comes to an abrupt stop and jolts the truck.
    I went to a meyer dealer and was told that this is normal with Meyer Plows that have the joystick and that replacing the joystick with a touchpad will fix the problem.( he says the touchpads have a delay that will stop the plow from coming to such a fast stop)
    I would like to hear from other Meyer Plow owners if this is true with their Meyer Plows too.
    Also, in order to switch from a joystick to a touchpad do you have to change the wiring or is there a "pigtail" that you could plug into the existing plug and then plug into the touchpad?
    I can live with this if I have too, but I figure I can justify buying a touchpad if
    I don't have to change the wiring and keep the joystick as a backup.
    I would appreciate anyone's feedback.

2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

hes fool of i have the md2 with the touch pad and theres no delay it stops quickly just like the others stay with the joystick because they are gonna have to change the wiring to the pump and all that jazz.what ever you decide good luck
  3. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

I also have the touchpad........no delay whatsoever. When the plow stops moving, the truck starts rocking. Don't listen to whoever told you that because they're just trying to get more money out of you. Just my $0.02

Meadowbrook Landscaping
  4. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Been running these for years. All our plows are over 8 feet. Had both touch pad and Slick Stick. There is NO difference. We have gone to all Slick Sticks. The pads are just to much of a hassle. They wear out and cost more. The sticks are less expensive and work great. Good luck.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

do a search
    i remember last season a couple guys had the same problem
    they were told the same thing
    cant remember if it made a difference when they changed controllers
    the wiring harness is different
  6. jchomer1

jchomer1 Junior Member

i have e57 also when turning to the right with joystick as i stopped it would try to force its way back to the left. I put the touchpad on and solved the problem. I called the meyers manufactuer and he sent me a touchpad for nothing.

POWERBAND Member

Slikstik / Touchpad

I just went around with this issue:

I had a Slikstik installed with a brandy new Meyers 7.5 with the E57 and it acted exactly as you describe, Banging to a stop in angle RT and inching left when RAISED and stopped.
    The dealer had put the Slikstik in at my request since I mounted it on the 5Spd shifter. (Chev1500) . The location was great for the slikstik/stick shift combo. Shift and plow with one hand comfortably.
    The dealer found out and I found out independently from Meyers (through this site) that the E57 (and I believe the E60) motor run-on after release of Angle RT, or Lift and release, will continue after the valve solenoids' de-energize and will cause the system to try to move to the "natural" (non-energized state) of Angle LEFT.
    My dealer had to put the NEWER touchpad in to fix this and it does work fine BUT, I already miss the simplicity and slick operation of the slikstik mounted on the shifter.
    ALSO a peeve I have is that the touchpad requires you to hold DOWN/FLOAT for a few seconds till a very dim lamp indicator comes on on the pad that tells you it is in float. This obviously is part of the correction ciruitry but I find the indicator lamp for FLOAT and the little yellow lamps for status are completely useless in the daylight!.
    Slikstik pic, will post new touchpad soon:[​IMG]
  8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a slick stick, however, I am having problems with it. Sometimes you have to jiggle the slick stick contacts in the female on the end of the harness. Sometimes it won't work, or you will go to raise it and nothing will happen, jiggle the male and female around and **** it at an angle, and it will work. Also with the gearshift mount that comes with it, unless I bend the angle on it, I can't get it to mount to anything(gear shift column(auto) or to the four wheel drive shifter) so since last winter when I bought it, it has been laying on the seat next to me. I don't want to drill holes into anything. It's a 95 Ford with 70,000 miles and mint. Any suggestions?
  9. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

I believe that the abrupt stopping is the c valve closing....normal when angling to the right. no valve is used when angling to the left ...just the motor running,so is slows down to a softer stop. I think you'll find this by looking at your book. No valves are used when angling left,just the motor running. At least this is what i have been told.
  10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I just stopped by the manufacture a month ago and asked that very question to John Filing the Marketing Manager at Meyer. And he took me to the service manager where he and i had a in depth convo on the way our plows work. And what he told me is yes it will work that way unless you buy a touch pad. The pad when angeling to the right when you release it it will hold the valve open till the motor stops. Thus keeping the jolt stops to a min.

I also noticed at the end of a lift mine will angle to the left ever so sightly. That too is the norm. John and the service guy did inform me that all of these issues had been delt with by getting the touch pad. To me the touch pad isn't practical for me. I like to be able to reach for the knob and know rite where its supposed to be at, so Ill learn to live with how the plow works.....Rob
  11. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

jeepboy has got it right.. i run slick sticks faster working less trouble and cheap to replace can get apart and clean up contacks also not easy but can be done i got some salt dust it 1 cleaned it up.. had 1 about 12 years old tryer to clean contacks but it was shot.. replaced it plow worked like new ..they were both acting up like gt racer 50 switch..