1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Pump Cover

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by gman2310, Sep 12, 2006.

1. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

This is probably a dumb question, but do you keep those black covers on while your plowing? or are they just to cover the pump when your not using it.

2. jfpjr

jfpjr Junior Member

You can leave them on all the time. They are meant to keep some of the snow/ice and other materials off the unit while you are plowing. If you have taken the cover off already, leave it. I have some that we still use the boot and others we don't.

3. LON

LON Senior Member

I agree - tends to do more harm than good.

Lon Seigworth
    Knox, PA

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

That doesn't make any sense to me. I have one, use it, works great looks good and keeps the pump and most importantly the selanoids clean.

Like wearing gloves or a hat.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try working on it in the middle of a storm with one of those covers on.

6. LLM Ann Arbor

Yeah I can see that I suppose. They are pretty thick and rigid when cold. I;ll take my chances and can have the entire pump unit off in less than 2 minutes for indoor repairs if need be.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I suppose. Seems like a waste off time to go back to the shop and pull the pump off, and take the cover off, do the repair and then reverse the process. I could change a c solenoid or motor on the street before you got back to the shop if I didn't need to pull the cover.

Just my opinion.

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I would not use one after i looked at one years ago. Lift solenoid quits at the end of a run its 20 deg. and plow is down and you have to run back to the shop. Ok either get out the jack or run it up on the pile and re hook the chain climb over the snow take 10 min if you got easy access to the stuff. This kind of thing happens at the end of the route so drive back to the shop take off the pump heat up the cover to get it off then figure out what the prob is. Like basher said i can pull the whole thing out in 5 min and replace it and be on my way even if its the motor. So no covers here but if it had the heater built in i might change my mind.prsport

9. LLM Ann Arbor

Good point. I can access the solenoids with cover on pulled back. It's more of a challenge and to date Ive never had a pump go down while in service. I know it will someday though.

I like the way it looks and the protection it does provide. I'll curse it someday though and I'll let you know when I do.

:waving:

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I agree with you about the protection, and appearance of the cover and I don't think there's a thing wrong with them. I just see too many that suffer from "out of sight out of mind" maintenance, which translates to none. Those units only get worked on in the middle of the storm and only if they break. The cover can double the repair time as well as annoying the h#$l out of the technician.

11. tree bizz

tree bizz Junior Member

get rid of the cover,just ask b&b (you know he's right):salute: