1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Problems

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by AHammen, Feb 27, 2008.

1. AHammen

AHammen Member

I'm fairly new to this site and it seems all I hear is bad things about Meyer plows. I have two Meyers (7.5 ft standard and an 8 ft commercial both classic mounts with E-60's). I've only had two problems-touch pad went bad and an "o" ring on the B valve. I have 7 large commercial accounts so my plows get their fair share of use. Am I just lucky, have other people had a lot of problems, if so what problems have you had? Thanks for any comments.
  2. ram4x443015

ram4x443015 Senior Member

i have not had to much go out on my meyer i love it :redbounce
  3. Snow1

Snow1 Junior Member
    from 11021

Owned one for the first 6 years I was in the business. Wouldn't take another one for free.

To many A B C valves to mention...including on a brand new E60 after 6 months old.

Cross over valves out the wazzu..

Flushed/fresh fluid every year but could never keep the water out of the motor or fluid. Froze up many times.

Couple sets of pivot pins

Couldn't get more than a full season out of a rebuilt pump. Got two seasons out of a brand new one.

Brand new one leaked down right out of the box.

Gave up on the touch pad controllers after the second one in 2 years.

Bought a brand new express mount 8 ft C series in '05, didn't last 2 weeks before the controller crapped out. Dealer replaced it twice under warranty. Wiring issues the whole time I had it.

Finally gave in and sold off all the Meyer stuff and bought equipment that has been trouble free ever since. And it isn't yellow.
  4. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

i have 3 meyer plows and for the last 3 yrs never changed a part... this yr ive had lots of headaches with them... " if its got moving parst or tits your going to have problems w/ it " so far this yr 2 pumps, 2 motors , 1 selenoid, A valve and coil, B valve and coil, sump base, headlight switch, but i dont belive at all if i had 3 differant color plows that it would be any differant
  5. theplowguy69

theplowguy69 Junior Member

I have had Meyer plows for about 26 yrs. and to tell you the truth, I have not had many problems with them. Seems like every truck I bought had a Meyer plow on it. I really wanted a Western, but wasn't going to sell the Meyer and start over. If I ever buy a truck without a plow, I will try something different.
  6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I have used Meyer for years. Nothing out of the norm as far as parts. Did a solanoid at the start of the year and I think I need to do a valve on the Jeep setup now, it sticks once in a while. But I've been happy :D :D :D :D
  7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

they come on my trucks they work for me. i always say i want something diffrent but ya know what. they work for me they dont freeze up. i know what i am dealing with to if something break. complicated isnt always better.
  8. motorcityplow

motorcityplow Junior Member
    from Mi.

You got that right. Meyer's are simple, and everyone says they are out-dated, but they certainly are easy to figure out whats wrong and generally easy to fix.

I just had to put a new motor on mine, but thats not bad.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not much that can't be fixed in a parking lot by flash light, if you just didn't have to do it so often;)
  10. plowingcherokee

plowingcherokee Junior Member
    from MA

I have had two diffent trucks with meyers and I have only had to do a motor on one pump. That is over a 13yr period.
  11. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Very few problems with mine. I have two. Yearly maintenance is the key.
  12. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

The E60 on my Jeep plow is a PITA!!!
    As mentioned Ya can never keep water out of it. I've changed fluid 2 x's this year and looking @ a 3rd now.
    In the 3 or 4 years I've had it on this vehicle It froze up once, went thru a solenoid, the drain plug is now seized up so, everytime I change fluid I have to do it "the hard way", it fried a coil, and we had the motor rebuilt. Good thing my other 2 truck plows are RED!!!
    BTW: when this motor plow set-up was on the other truck it fried the keypad the 1st year I had it (warranty).
    Am starting to have problems w/ it again-see new post.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't have to be complicated in order to be better.. :)
  14. Snow1

Snow1 Junior Member
    from 11021

I used to think the same thing when I ran nothing but Meyer..until I bought another color. :)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

for all those who hate their meyer plow ill be glad to take them off your hands for free.
    20 yrs 1 bad vavle 1 pivot pin

16. Over9five

Over9five Junior Member
    from Mass

Have had a Meyer maybe 10 years now. Was used when I bought it. Been thru several motors, as someone said the rebuilt ones suck. Touch pad just went, replaced with a slick stick. Starting to rust thru a lot! Leaks a lot too!

Did have a Fisher before this, no problems at all with that. Sold it with that truck.