1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The_Burning_Rom, Jan 11, 2003.

1. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

HI, I'm new here. I didn't even know that a plowing forum exsisted on the Internet! I've been missing out! Anyway...I have a Meyer model ST-90 plow with a E-47 pump/motor. Now i'm having an angling problem. I always park the truck with the plow straight. When I start the truck up..the plow will angle fine to the left, and then to the right. But, if you angle the blade all the way to the right, it will not go back to the left. It will stick there. You have to either manually break it loose, or push on a rock/tree/snowbank. This problem has been around for about 5 years now..ever since my dad blew a hose and used the wrong kind of fluid to re-fill the resevoir. Since then, we've changed the fluid three times (the third time was tonight), replaced the solenoids, and replaced the valves. Still the problem persists. I'm thinking that it's one of the rams that isn't freeing up when the plow is angled that far. Any ideas?
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I'm thinking the cylinder needs to be replaced...
    Angle it the the left then check to see if the right cylinder is damaged in any way, chiped, bent, pitted....

Wecome to PlowSite, you will be amazed at that ideas, and knowlage some of the members here have...
  3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Sounds like maybe a slightly bent or damaged ram. You might want to check that the A frame is not binding in any way. I also had my meyer do the same thing, but the plow corner was actually slightly catching on the corner of my bumper. A little tap with the sledge hammer to pound the bumper back, and all was well...
  4. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

Thanks for the replys guys. I did check the far ends of the rams at full angle to see if they were damaged in any way last night when I was changing the fluid, and one seemed to be slightly pitted. I sprayed it up with WD-40 real good and it didn't seem to make a difference at all. I had also thought that the A-Frame may be binding, but I had my dad angle it while I watched, and it didn't seem to be binding up anywhere. It seems like when the plow is fully angled to the right...it just doesn't have enough power to push it back to the left. :( If we get any more (or any for that matter) snow this year, I'll probably take the rams off and switch them around and see if the problem switches sides.
  5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Before you start messing with rams check the quick connect couplers. I've had that problem produce symptoms similar to what you described.

I'd suggest too, take the plow and connect the two rams together with the hose. (Some are set up with a hose attached to both cylinders, and some are set up with one hose left on the pump and the other left on one of the cylinders. I'm sure you can figure out how to connect the two cylinders to each other.) When they're connected just to each other you should be able to pull the blade all the way from full angle left to full angle right, and back again. If you can't that might help narrow down the problem.
  6. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

The E-47 is set up with one hose connected to the plow..and one connected to the pump at all times. I also fogot to mention another aspect of this problem that I was reminded of today when I drove the truck. The problem only occurs in warm temperatures, and when I first put it on in the fall. When the weather is cold (like it is today, 14 degrees) the plow angles fine. Last night in the garage it was about 75 degrees, and the angling problem was occuring. That's what makes me think it's an internal problem in one of the rams, and not a bent ram or a dirty/pitted ram.
  7. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Had Same Problem

Have a brand new E-60. Worked fine for a whole 6 hours then had the same problem as you.

Dealer found the following;

1. Bad couplers, were recalled but Meyer did not notify dealer.

2. Bad coil

3. Had too much pressure, dealer turned down the pressure.

I would try the couplers first.