1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Jan 8, 2000.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi folks, I have been having trouble with my plow bypassing under pressure to the left. I have installed new meyer fluid as per Chucks method from plow central also made sure i got all the air out of system. There is no visible fluid leaks. I can't push it physically back it takes load pressure to cause the release. Thanks in advance for your help.......mick<br>

2. Stephen

Stephen Member

there's only one quick fix to your meyer plow dilema ---- buy a Fisher!!!<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>

3. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Mick,<p>Does your plow not power angle or is it that it won't pressure relief when you strike a solid object.<p>At any rate, don't triple your problems with a Fisher! (Fisher, of course, is short for &quot;Fisher-Price&quot;)<p>:)

4. Mick

from Maine

when I am plowing the left plow cylinder comes in by itself. I have to keep adjusting it back to the right.......mick <br>

5. Mick

from Maine

I thought Meyer owned fisher and it was there economy line ??....mick

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Theres a reason that there are no sites and forums dedicated to Fisher repair, unlike the Meyer sites, and thats because the Fisher doesnt need to be repaired. Its not afraid of the cold and working hard like the Meyer.<p>Why would anyone buy a plow with a bedspring holding the moldboard up&lt;G&gt;?<p>Bill

7. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

It sounds like your valve isn't going down all the way. This is probably because of small debris stuck in the left hydroturn valve. Remove the left magneto and take the valve out to be sure it pops in and out freely. Blow out the valve as it doesn't take but a small speck to hold it up.<p>As for those Fishers, you really don't ever repair those. (I don't think you repair anything from Fisher-Price, pretty much dispose of it when it breaks.)

8. Mick

from Maine

thanks lazer. I took both valves out and cleaned them also installed new seals in valves. I did a pressure test on valves my tester go's up to 80 lbs air pressure no leaks apeared. is there an adjustment for a safty release? I bought this plow 2nd handed and i wander if this guy made any adjustments that could cause this.

9. Stephen

Stephen Member

sorry to offend all u myers fans out there but i used to have one and it was junk. We go with fisher now - although i could possibly have a new opinion in the spring since i just bought a brand new chevy and my fisher v-plow is on back order. the dealer gave me a myers v-plow to use in the mean time so we shall see how it prevails<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Don't even get me started with fisher. The way to go is Diamond it will take on a fisher and win any day. Only i do own 3 fishers a 10 fisher, and 2 v plows, and 10 diamonds. The reason is i hate the minutemount, but to get a v plow and 10 foot with the trip edge i had to get fisher. Diamond is still stronger than fisher.<p>Geoff

11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

It probably is in your cross-over relief. I've never had one of those apart on a Meyer pump.<p>To others: Perhaps instead of buying a plow named after a toy or piece of jewelry or movie or supermarket, why don't you guys step up to the plate and buy a BOSS. :)<br>

12. GeoffD

There is no boss dealer in maine. If there was i might buy a boss v plow for my 550. Only a boss lacks a trip edge. Boss makes a good plow, just i don't believe in driving out of the state to buy a plow. Plus diamond and fisher are built in maine, support my fellow mainers.<p>Geoff

13. lawnman

lawnman Junior Member

I agree with Lazer. The boss is the way to go. I do believe there is a dealer in Maine. Look at the Boss web site.<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

14. GeoffD

The boss dealer is 3 + hours away from me. I am not going to drive that far, when there are 6 fisher and diamond dealers in a 20 mins drive. I would rather buy fisher and diamond and support and maine company anyways.<p>Geoff

15. snowblade

snowblade Junior Member

I just checked the Boss website, and there is a distributor for Maine. Here it is:<br>EQUIPMENT DEPOT<br>163 HILDRETH STREET<br>BANGOR, ME 04401<br>207-947-6148<p>Justin

16. GeoffD

yea bagor is 3+ hours away for me.<p>Geoff

17. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Geoff,<p>How about a snoway...Saw a new one the other day. Vplow, had a cute picture of a wolf in the middle!! Think it was called a Lobo. <p>I'll stick with my old 'fisher price'. Might take a little longer to hook up... But I'm used to it. Never cared for the minute mount setups. Didn't look much easier to hook up, and not as solid as old style.<p>Looked at a BOSS V last year. Hook up was sweet. Fast too...solid...but no trip edge. If it was a straight blade maybe.<p>Anyway...sounds like a pressure relief valve causing the Meyers problem. Not real familiar with their setup. I'm sure Chuck can tell ya!! <p>Dave

18. GeoffD

Thats why i like Diamond. It's pull a way system gives you the best of both worlds. Here is how i do it on 10 trucks. In the fall i put the lift assembly or head gear on the trucks. Put plenty of water resistant grease on the slide in tubes, or you will have a hard time getting them out. Then when it snows just drive up to the blade and connect it to the truck. Just like the old style Fisher and Diamond. When your done plowing disconect the blade and park the truck. Then in april you can remove the lift assembly or head gear and put it in a shop. Just make sure in the fall to coat the head gear with grease, and electical connections with electic grease. Don't store a head gear or a pump in the basement or water will develope in the pump, that counts for any brand.<p>Geoff

19. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well not sure what is wrong with your pump, but all manufactures seem to make good plows. What counts is what works for you, and dealer support. If a meyer dealer is open at midnight during a storm, and your fisher dealer is no where to be found, then the meyer, even tho it may not be your preference, may be a better choice. WIth plowing equipment and trucks its not if but when it will break.<br>As far as the meyer v plow goes, forget it, they are junk, and meyer has recalled alot of them. Wait for the fisher, it is the most advanced v plow available(exception is western since they are essentially the same).<br>For you boss v plow fans, they make a good plow, but the moldboard trip just doesnt work with a v plow. In the scoop postion the plow cant trip, where as a trip edge design will. WHich by the way is what causes the meyer v plow to fail. To much stress on the center pivot, and they crack where the moldboard is welded to the center pivot hub.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

20. Lou

Lou Member

<p>