1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DaveVB, Sep 14, 2006.

1. DaveVB

DaveVB Junior Member

How do I rebuild the side-shift cylinders? I got the cap? off and that seal replaced, but there is another double seal inside the large chamber of the housing. Never done it and don't want to screw it up. Thanks for your help.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Do a search on the tool bar above it's asked all the time.
    They are called Angle Cylinders
    I asked the same question last year. It can be done, they sell the end caps too.
    Millsupply.com <--- for parts,order the catalog,they ship UPS etc.
    If you look the caps do have "flats" on them for a BIG wrench, but I have a BIG pipe wrench for that job. Leave the hose end ( ram ) on the plow to keep the ram from turning when you attempt to remove the caps. The chrome ram should just slide out of the Cylinders once the caps off.
    If your chrome on the working part of the ram is pitted it may not even help to rebuild them.
    You will still get water in the system and fluid leakage.
    If you are going to change your hoses take those off first, after soaking the fitting at the ram for a week with PB Blaster / WD40 etc. The fitting is fragile and tends to break off in the ram before it comes loose. And then you would have rebuilt Cylinders with the fitting broke off in them if you went to change the hoses later on.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Have Fun with the project.