1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer plow wont work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thebeef68, Jan 14, 2004.

1. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

i checked the fluid level it is fine. i can hear the silinoid clicking but the ram wont move and it wont angel. also i can pull the ram up by hand and move the left right a little. thanks to all for everything keith

2. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

Keep working it, or try a hair dryer.

3. roblandscape

from Phila

What is the temp there

4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my western a month ago. It would move left, right, up down but after a few seconds it would shake and buck until it finally reached the final position. I tried changing hoses and fittings to no avail.

Wound up taking it to the service guy. After about an hour of diagnosing the darn thing they took the pump and reservoir housing apart. The screen on the inlet side of the pump was clogged with debris. They cleaned it, put it back together, and away I went. Took them about two hours.

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

You said you hear the solenoid click, but do you hear the pump motor running????

6. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

it is about 20 degrees yes i hear clicking dont think motor running when it does it

7. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Check for power at the motor power terminal with a test lite or volt meter. Tapping on the top of the motor with a screw driver handle might free a sticking brush. I would guess you probably have a bad motor. Aftermarket replacement should run $50-75.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

is it frozen maybe i have a meyer and it survied the below zero weather i added some rubbing alcohol

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Is this an E-47 or E-60?

10. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

e60 motor i just put a new motor on it last year

11. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

would you still be abel to pull the ram up if it was froze

12. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Check for power at the motor when the switch is activated?

13. roblandscape

from Phila

When is the last time it worked?

14. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

it worked last snow maybe 2 weeks but when i got done at my moms house it acted like it didnt want to raise right away i will go out now and check for power

15. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

i had my wife hit the up button and i was hitting on the motor and something sparked i had her keep doing it and i wiggled the motor and pump and then the running ligts on the plow lights came on. i didnt have them turned on though no lights at all

16. JMR

JMR Senior Member

It sounds like you might have a problem with a cut, shorted, melted or some other problem in the plow wiring loom? What year and make of truck? The lite harness and the plow harness are two different harnesses. Do they run next to each other where they might have gotten pinch or cut and shorted together. Look for places were the wiring would be affected when you move the pump. Check power and ground cables to the pump. Check connections from the pump power wire to the solenoid. Check pump ground to battery - connection. Check connection of three wires to the coils on the pump. Sparking and other things coming on with the raise switch activated point to a wiring or bad connection problem.

17. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

i noticed that some tape had come off of the 3 little wires .but the are not that close to the lights wires thats what i thought also. was thinking that it could be the ground to the motor . not sure if that makes sense but i am going to try it and see hope some one knows what this might be thanks to all

18. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

sorry it is a 95 chevy truck

19. Mickey Rat

Mickey Rat Junior Member

Fuse

This exact problem is what brought me to this site.

I was plowing as normal today and I lost all my hydrolics. The soleniods click, so I have power to them, but no pump motor. Is there a Maxi fuse somewhere between the battery and the pump motor?

20. thebeef68

thebeef68 Junior Member
    from ohio

i will check that this am im from akron what part ne ohio you from