1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Plow Wiring Cant Be Right

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mppd20, Dec 14, 2004.

1. mppd20

mppd20 Junior Member

I removed a complete setup from a 1987 dodge with joystick controller, never saw it work though. I put it on my 90 Dodge, have the white wire to the solenoid, and all the colors on the pump matched to the harness, problem is, when I try to angle right, the blade goes up, when I push the control up, it angles right. The left angle works as it should, tried to switch wires, no fix. What am I doing wrong?
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Are you sure that you are holding the joystick correctly in your hand?

Ha Ha... Just kidding

So am I getting this correct

Right stick Blade up
    Left stick Blade left
    Up Stick Blade right
    Down stick ???

1. Does the blade go "up and right" or just "up" when you hit right on the stick?
    Up and right would indicate that a valve is not opening fully.

2. Where did you switch the wires? At the control, or at the solenoid?
    Do you have 2 wires on each coil?
    One of them is common to all coils maybe you switched the wrong one.
  3. mppd20

mppd20 Junior Member

I should correct myself, I dont have the joystick, I have two seperate switches that plug into the factory harness. I have two of them and have tried both with the same result. It only goes right when I push up, and only goes up when I push right. There are only one wire coming out of each coil, one red, one green, and the black one.
  4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Most plows with 3 coils should be hooked up as follows.

1 coil right + switch in box activates solenoid for pump.
    2 coil left + switch in box activates solenoid for pump.
    3 coil down.
    No coil necessary for up.
    When all coils are closed and the solenoid for the pump is activated, the blade goes up.

If down and left function properly than the right coil should be hooked up properly.

Maybe a bad switchbox?
    Or diode in the switchbox.
    Can you give more info on the plow so I can look up a manual?
  5. mppd20

mppd20 Junior Member

It is a Meyer E-47 pump, with the three panel switch, one for up and down, one for left and right, and one for lights. Looks like one of the wires (black) is in the harness and not hooked up.
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Click on the Meyer link at the top of the page. You can download a pdf file of the E-47 manual. There is a wiring diagram and trouble shooting guide in there....
  7. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Looks like I was wrong in my previous post about the coils.

Your setup should be.
    Black to A coil for lower
    White to solenoid for Right (and to run the pump on raise and left)
    Red to B coil for Up
    Green to C coil for Right

Does this help?

New Bitmap Image111.jpg
  8. fordsrbetter

fordsrbetter Junior Member

never mind its in the wiring diragram above, sorry about that i should have opened my eyes wider

i think the black wire is switched power, is the black on the two different switchs, working from memory when i rewired the old ford. (i just teed that into the ignition switch with a 10 amp inline fuse.
    have a great day D.J.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

did you tap into the vehicles wiring for switched power?
    what happens if you run power right to the coils, does everything work properly?
  10. mppd20

mppd20 Junior Member

The black wire is tapped into the ignintion on the inside. The white wire is connected to the solenoid. I have the green to green, red to red, black to black on the pump.
  11. wmsland

wmsland Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Check and see if you are getting power to the B valve ( red wire on the pump). If you have power in the red wire then check for magnetism in the B coil, if no magnetism then replace the B coil. If you have magnetism to the coil and it still doesn't work replace the B valve.