1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Plow ST Question

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Harford13, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Not really how to explain this, but would someone who is familiar with the Meyer St 7'6" take a look at the attached pics... I purchased the plow used, my question is, is the angle of the plow sector correct where it meets the blade??? I feel like the plow should be pushed forward more, I tightened the springs and this is how the bade/sector ended up... Nothing appears bent and it functions correctly, I'm wondering if I should weld a piece of steel across the top of the sector which would not allow the blade to lean back so far..... but I think that would put all of the pressure on the angle iron that leans back on the sector.... Maybe this is normal and I'm being paranoid.... Just trying to prevent problems down the road

Meyerplow.jpg

meyerplow1.jpg

2. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

It's a common thing with Meyer blades. You could weld up another piece of steel, that'll keep it from leaning back further but won't make it lean forward more to what it should be. If you were to take off the 3 springs and let the blade lay forward, you'll probably find the front part of the sector more than likely bent up. I seen it many times in the past. What i've done in the past (short of replacing the sector) is weld a strip of 1/8" steel across the front of the sector where it contacts the plow (on the inside where you normally can't see). Just my $.02 worth. :salute:

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Just below where your arrow points, on the sector is the stops. They are worn enough that when you tightened the springs they slipped under the angle iron on the moldboard. Get a couple of peices of steel and weld them to the original stops, making them taller, so they don't go under the angle iron on the moldboard. Also, check the pivot pins on the moldboard while your at it, make sure they are free.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

6. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I just replaced the pivot pins, however someone before me welded in new pivot tubes and they may be set back a quarter inch or so... Do you guys think I can make this repair in the spring or is this something I need to do right away??? The last think I need is for the blade to fold back.....

7. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Do you think I could weld a piece of 1/8 angle on the front of the sector as shown in the diagram to straighten the blade angle??

Sector.jpg

8. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I did, and it worked perfectly!

9. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Although B&B's way is the correct way!!!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes it takes both methods to restore them back to their original position, replacing the pins and/or tubes as well as adding the "shim" to the from side of the sector to make up for the sector and/or moldboard being bent. Just be sure to address the pins and tubes first, and then if needed add the shim stock. Don't use a shim as a replacement for not fixing the pins/tubes correctly.

11. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

what i did was weld a a plat 2 the stop so that is was 2 in past the blade and it suck when the blade ends up as a scoop shovel

12. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Thanks for all the advise, Now I have to decide if I'm going to roll the dice and hope it gets me through the winter or break it down now and make the repair

13. kashman

my way you can fix it as it sits. and iv done all the other fix they dont stop the problem just mask it. the way i did mine fixes meyers flaw

14. kashman

red is 3/8 stock blue is weld dot blue line is weld on the underside

Meyerplow.jpg

15. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Did you cut the original bump stop and weld the 3/8 on extending it, or just weld directly on to the back of the original stop? I have some 3/8 steel lying around I may try to fix it Monday.

16. kashman

right on the back of the oem stop

17. kashman

should look like this

Attached Files:

• mey.bmp
      File size:
      312.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Thanks, I'll post some pics of the repair

19. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Here's a few pics of the repair.... Huge difference in the blade angle.. Thanks for all of your help

fix1.jpg

fix2.jpg

fix3.jpg