1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Plow Sluggish

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bdespard, Nov 1, 2008.

1. bdespard

bdespard Junior Member

I have a 1994 CJ with a 6ft Meyer electric plow . It worked great last winter. I parked it for the summer and recently checked the hydraulic reservoir. I had to add about 6 ounces of fluid. The plow lifted nice but wouldn't angle to either side the first few attempts. I angles and lifts sluggish now and fluid squirts out of the relief port on the top of the main cylinder.
    The fluid looks somewhat foamy. What can I do to fix this?:):)

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The foam is from air in the system which is normal if its low on fluid and you fill it up and run it through the system. The foam will go away overnight. If it looks milky at times that means there is a leak, and water is getting in. (Like mine)

Flush your pump and anglers, and refill with hydro fluid.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yes, foam is from air.

You should change your fluid.

4. bdespard

bdespard Junior Member

Sluggish

How do I flush the system?

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Theres a drain plug on the bottom of the unit,

drain out the old fluid and replace it with new.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Flush your anglers as well as your pump.

7. bdespard

bdespard Junior Member

I drained the old fluid out and replaced it with new fluid. I have the same problem. The plow is extremely sluggish and when I raise it and lower it fluid sprays out of the relief plug. Are there hydraulic filters somewhere that might be dirty?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

9. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Bleed

Back off the connections at the cylinders and move the blade back and forth. Make sure the blade is down (cylinders higher in the back than in the front) when you do it, so that any air pockets in the cylinders can work their way out. You will lose fluid, so have some on hand (some guys try to "catch" it, but if it's contaminated you don't want it). Move the blade back and forth until you get a steady stream of fluid on both sides. Keep an eye on the reservoir ... if you run it empty you'll end up with the same problem all over again.

Never hurts to replace the filters, and if you're replacing the fluid it's a good time. Otherwise like changing the oil in your truck and leaving the old filter.